Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hotter than a gad dang " Roux skillet

Braves, I don't know what it's like where you are, but on the left side of matters (California) it's bubbling hot. Got up to 114 here yesterday and I would be first in line to volunteer for the dunk tank! The cats look as if they are ready to explode, Armagedon Hot that is!

Brings up a question regarding wax:
If extreme heat, or, those great northern cold spells of winter in the north that put ya into the minus 20 or 30 degrees (for those up north)... has an effect on wax in accordions.... what about silicon products to replace wax?

Dana, Jude or others: Have you ever tried this stuff or any catalist type replacement for "waxing" reeds to the blocks? Just what are the advantages of wax?
Also: On the subject of hot/cold... does the pitch change with heat or cold (expansion / contraction of metal), is this possible? Fiddles and guitars need more tuning due to heat changes (so I have heard).

Nonc D

Re: Hotter than a gad dang " Roux skillet

hey nonc D!!!

i think one of the reasons the accordion became so popular in SW Louisiana was because it holds up better than a fiddle. i can only talk from a fiddle point of view, but some of my worst performing nitemares have occurred either in really hot or really wet weather. case in point, buffy and i were performing yesterday at a street festival in rosendale NY........we were about 20 minutes into our one hour set when, sproing, my A string broke. fiddle strings hardly ever break.and when they do.....watch out.....the whole instrument detunes faster than you can say jack robinson....... i know that one of the reasons it broke was because we were playing in driving rain (under a canopy onstage) and it was also hot and steamy. so.....yeah, ya gotta worry about tuning and oh my, i was slicker than a snake oil salesman in getting a new string on in lickety split time. i don't think accordions misbehave like that......
roger

ouch. 114? What part of CA you in? I'm in Montana, way up river, and it's been 102 here. I've wondered about the wax too. Make sure I don't take it in the car when I have to leave it in the sun. Not worried about cold as I don't leave it out in a snowbank Seems they are pretty tough as I heard once they could standup to 120 without losing wax. Sound about right?

Hal

Acoustic waves do not excite (vibrate) wax with any discern. This reduces the sympathetic effect through the reed bank. I don't know if this is the reason wax is used on accordions, but it certainly is for many other acoustic applications as well as electronic. It's hot and humid here in the DC area, but it always is this time of year. no triple digits yet.
Craig

Re: Re: Hotter than a gad dang " Roux skillet

Affirmative. This Summer is perfect for making a Dallas, TX "dry yard roux."

Recipe:

1) I get your black arn skillet; set it anywhere in the North Central Texas area, anytime of the day -- full sun, shade -- don't matter.

2) Pour in 2 cups of all-purpose flour.

3) Stir quickly 3 times.

4) Done. You've got a beautiful dark, dry roux perfect for any gravy dish.

It's hot in Big D, Nonc. Plus we've had no "real" rainfall this year, or last year for that matter. You can drive to any of the area lake beds and eat your fill of baked catfish. All you need is a fork and a six-pack of your favorite adult beverage. Makes going out to eat adventurous and inexpensive. I usually bring some of my dry roux along for an improvised gumbo.

Alas, but my accordions are inside the house, with their reeds preserved in their acoustically unexcitable wax.

Refrigeratedly yours,

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Hotter than a gad dang " Roux skillet

Rick, I can vouch for that heat in Dallas. Bryan and I went through Dallas on our way to Lawton, Oklahoma, and bother, it was hot. I actually had the same problem with my truck that Aaron did, but didn't burn my hand. My truck was in overheat mode all the way up and until I got back to Central Louisiana, when it finally cooled off. I was o.k. because I had enough beer to ward off some of the heat, but couldn't find anything as good for my truck.

Dowell

Waxem and screwem, the reeds that is. HOT? Mosey on down to opelousas in late august and I will show you hot. That heat and humidity combo here is hellacious and I have lived here all of my life.

Re: Re: Hotter than a gad dang " Roux skillet

The only difference between Opelousas and Port Arthur, TX is, Port Arthur has the mosquitos to go along with the heat and humidity!!!
BTW, my "second home" is my Nanny's house ( back behind Opelousas General Hospital).
Jude

Well Nonc, I can't say that I "know" why bee's wax is used rather than something else. I do know that some of the reasons are as follows: bee's wax will never dry out and get hard and "crumbly". That's why you never what to use parafin ( sp ? ) wax. It does crumble. The bee's wax is also a sealer as well as a fastener.
I suppose that the extreme heat you're having there could cause the wax to mmelt a bit, if left outside long enough. My experience is that this happens most often when left inside a parked vehicle, where the temperature is "amplified". I suspect though, you're not going to sit outside in the direct sun and play your instrument for very long, in 112 deg. heat ???
Better stay inside with A/C and ice tea
Jude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!