Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best festival in "Cajun Country"

I would also recommend the Festival Internationale de la Louisiane. Although it's not a strictly cajun festival, you will find a wide variety of cajun music the whole weekend at any hour on one of 6 or so stages in downtown Lafayette. Also, lectures and impromtu cajun jams and such. The good thing is your wife will have more than her share of arts, food and other music. Festival is free. Every spring. My wife could take or leave Cajun music,(shes from North LA) but she loves this festival. We just go our own ways after looking the shedule over.

Re: Re: Best festival in "Cajun Country"

...and also should mention that the International is the weekend right before Breaux Bridge, so in one long week(2 weekends) you can do BOTH festivals.

It really hasn't gotten too hot to be outdoors...and we always bounce to at least 1 day of jazzfest over in New Orleans (same weekends).

I've got to second the vote for Festival Internationale, although it's been a few years for me. A variety of music (including lots of Cajun and zydeco), art galleries are open. Doesn't feel too crowded because it's spread out accross the City of Lafayette. Stop by Vermillionville for some history.

Is the crafts store in St. Martinville still in business? Nice place to visit down by Bayou Teche.

S'b'B

If you're in SW La during Mardi Gras week, it sounds like the event in Iota is more to your liking. I tried to squeeze in as many places as I could last year, From Church Point to Eunice to, geez, can't even remember them all. What stood out about Iota, was all the local crafters, home made cooking, and an active effort to see that the 'party atmosphere' you're reffering to, doesn't happen there. Comparatively speaking, it's pretty small, but quite focused. The one thing I did find kind of funny though: right after the MC gave a speech about keeping their event family oriented, all things cajun, and traditional, the next band up was an in your face zydeco band. It's the little things that make me smile

Labor Day weekend brings the SW LA Zydeco Music Festival in Plaisance. Hard to beat that, but it is primarily focused on the music. If yer internal organs can take 12 hours of double-kick drum, and your feet can stand 1/2 a day of stellar bass grooves, then you might consider it. Plus you can wheel in your cooler full of whatever you like.

That same weekend brings the Shrimp and Petroleum Festival in Morgan City. It's got music, but that's just one of the many things to see and do. It's very laid back. The drive down Hwy 90 to Morgan City makes for a nice departure from the "prairie" festivals. And who doesn't like shrimp!?

2 cents worth,

Rick

Re: Re: Re: Best festival in "Cajun Country"

Last year I missed Plaisance ---our flight into New orleans on Aug 31 was luckily cancelled!- (and we didn't become tourist-victims of katrina)... but I agree it is a beautiful day-long festival, and on the Monday following is the annual labor Day Boozoo fest in Lake Charles, a great lineup of music, food and family-oriented fun. Big Hat Fields has his big free bbq on the Sunday in between if I remember correctly.

But beware- it can be BLAZING HOT down there that time of year... often more than a Northerner can handle,

But I have great memories of sitting outside in 100+ degree heat with not a breeze anywhere, and humidity around 99%- sweat dripping from every pore while gnawing on a gigantic fried turkey wing (size of a baseball bat) and the grease drippings merging with the sweat.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I appreciate them

PI

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!