Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Favorite Hot sauce?

of course tabasco..but being here in virginia, texas pete is pretty popular...since i been on this ship they have a mexican hot sauce named "Chulula" ...great taste and just right!

pete..where you at in N.C.?

Re: Re: Favorite Hot sauce?

Grandma Rena's Opelousas Red is a winner on subtle and complex taste (used to be available on www.cajungrocer.com), and if you run into the Lost Bayou Ramblers, all of their four sauces have the opposite characteristic: the simple essence of the peppers come through with home-cookin' integrity.
S'b'B

not necessarily better, just different

i second 'chulula'
and matouk's

not from LA of course

and tabasco is just way expensive

to me, [getting back to music]
it;s like expensive musical instruments,
not necessarily better, just different

wle.

Chulula- thats the one I was trying to think of. Thats a real good one. Good and thick, sticks to fried eggs.

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Hot sauce?

Yes, Cholula is great on eggs.

Melinda's Extra Hot mixed in mayo and put on sandwitches is wonderful also.

Ron W

That's tough one! The old standbys are always good, Tabasco, Crystal, etc., but I like trying new ones all the time - sometimes based by clever name alone. So the fridge always has a few open bottles of different varieties.
I grow lots of peppers and the sauce is pretty easy to make. Made some mild chillly sauce, scorching habanero sauce. They've turned out pretty good, but because I don't add any coloring, some of them look pretty disgusting. Great way to keep it all to yourself Yeah, that sounds selfish, but in my garden, you don't weed, you don't eat.
Steve

Ok, I'll join this discussion. For some time now I just read this forum cuz ya'll know way more about this accordion stuff than I do. All I know about the accordion is that I LOVE to play it.
All I know about hot sauce is that I LOVE to eat it. I've tried most brands already mentioned with the exception of Texas Pete's. I agree with Rick that it depends on the time of day...but mostly depends on what is on the table. However, when your talking about Hot, my absolute favorite is NEW MEXICO GREEN CHILIES! They have a flavor all their own that is unduplicated anywhere else in the world. The biggest bunches are grown in the Rio Grande Valley around Hatch NM but the best ones (In my Humble Opinion) are grown in the Pecos Valley, around Villanueva. Some people swear buy the Northern Rio Grande Valley Chilie, around San Juan and Espanola, or Pueblo chilie in S. Colorado, but given the choice I'll take Pecos any (and every) day. NM green chilie is highly addictive and most of it is consumed in New Mexico, Southern Colorado, and Arizona. At harvest time (in about 4 weeks) roasters are set up in front of the supermarkets and by the road and people buy it by the gunnysack & have it roasted on the spot. The Missus & I take orders from fellow chilieophiles and make an annual run in September to stock up for the year. We go thru about 3 gunny sacks a year, not counting what we give away at christmastime. Roasted chilie is peeled and frozen in bags and can be made into salsa and/or gravy. Hands can burn for days after peeling a few sacks of extra hots, but baking soda hand wash helps make this bareable. Used with any meat, soup, stew, spuds, eggs or anything I am convinced that Green Chilie is the key to health, happiness, and happy-go-lucky accordion playing!
Too much information, you say? Perhaps, but you asked! I thank the lord that I can shoot down the Santa Fe trail every fall to partake of his chile bounty and goodness. Enjoy, ya'll!

Tommee,

You " MUST" have holes right thru, "ALL" your digestive track .

Krazy.

Check out the link, they got some good stuff too. Love the garlic sauce and the sloppy boudreaux.

Re: Re: Re: Krazee...

....yea so, ...are you saying thats not normal?
--Tommee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazee...

I mean, if you have to "ADD" hot peppers to your food, what you really do is "MASK" the real flavour of your meal.
Anyways , I grew up on Pate,French wine and Baguettes, and to me that's normal fare .Lets have some culinary finesse here .

Krazzy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazee...

I'm sorry it's that way for you ... however I'm sure that you could still find some way to acheve health, happiness, and happy-go-lucky accordion playing! Keep your chin up and hang in there! Good luck!
---Tommee

It's a nasty myth that peppers cause stomach ulcers. Instead, the peppers help kill off harmful bact

Turn up the heat

Emily Simnitt

The Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 08-16-2005

Take a cue from this hot, hot weather and turn the heat up in your diet this week.

That's right, slice up some jalapenos, dice those habaneros and roast a couple of poblanos.

There's nothing but good news about chili peppers and all their amazing health benefits.

For starters, according to the World's Healthiest Foods Web page (whfoods.org), peppers fight inflammation (think arthritis), clear congestion, boost immunity, prevent stomach ulcers and encourage weight loss.

Yep. It's a nasty myth that peppers cause stomach ulcers. Instead, the peppers help kill off harmful bacteria you might have ingested along with your salsa.

Peppers have been cultivated in Central and South American for more than 7,000 years. Ferdinand Magellan is credited with introducing the little hotties to Asia and Africa, where there's hardly a dish today that doesn't benefit from the chili pepper's presence.

Chili peppers also have historically been used medicinally to cure stomach aches and other gastrointestinal issues. You can find people today who slather on cayenne-infused skin cream to ease inflammation due to arthritis.

But if you're just looking to add a little pizzazz to everything from rice to soup to your grilled chicken, get to the grocery store and put your hot little hands on your favorite variety, from the super-duper hot scotch bonnet to the more docile bell.

The magic ingredient is called capsaicin, and it's what gives peppers their kick. That means the hotter the pepper, the better it is for you.

Attention to those who can't stand the heat: Toughen up. Or at least try to get used to it a little at a time. With all those ripening tomato and pepper plants in your garden, start with salsa. Here are a few more ideas:

• Dice up a jalape–o and pair it with pineapple on a pizza.

• Add a dash of cayenne to hot chocolate.

• Try spicier fare when eating out (like a super-hot sushi roll with both hot peppers and hot sauce at Kyoto Japanese Restaurant on Fairview Avenue).

Re: It's a nasty myth that peppers cause stomach ulcers. Instead, the peppers help kill off harmful

This thread is getting scrumptious. I just gained 5 lbs. and 3 mb reading this post. Thanks Larry, I'm off for a BBQ sandwich and a pile of jalapenos!

RR!

Re: Standing the heat

Ya know, I used to be able to "stand the heat" but I can't do it any more. It's not that I can't stand eating the hot peppers, it's that my body seems to reject them!

If I eat anything hot anymore, I just start hiccuping. Darn annoying if you want to enjoy some hot food!

I guess that just happens when you get older...
(I wouldn't know myself, cuz I've never been this old before)

DP

Re: Re: Standing the heat

I love peppers, but the really hot ones always make me hiccup - more like a loud, short, gasp for air, and boy oh boy, can that get embarassing. At least for me, had nothing to do with getting older. But won't give them up. Clears my sinuses during allergy season, and it's worth a little embarassment every now and then. And they go with everything.
A few years ago, a guy named Biker Billy had a local TV show, Cooking with Fire. Everything he made had heat. Ice cream, beer, you name it. But even if you didn't like peppers, he was fun to watch. Did things like use a Black and Decker drill instead of a blender. Wish that was on YouTube!
Steve

I always keep "The Perfect" Louisiana Hot Sauce for chicken and pork, and Crystal for seafood. lots of times I like tobasco for raw or boiled seafood.

had a big scare after Katrina, couldn't get Crystal sauce anywhere and rumor had it that the factory was blown away. Started showing up a couple of weeks ago.

whew!

jt

I grow my own here in Italy.. the pepperoncino variety ( Dutch Red on the chart 6 heat factor ).. when grown organically and sun dried and ground to a powder ( especially the Calabrian variety ).. you get a very healthy, perfumed and potent source of very effictive heat. Just sprinked as is onto any dish.. you get the heat and slight nuance of pepper flavor.. goes on anything you put your Tabasco sauce on..

Best sprinkled on garlic and oil pasta.. ( no cheese as it cuts the burn.. all milk products will cut the burn for you .. a spoon of yogurt or sip of melt will take any unpleasant overly hot sensations away immediately.. water or bread can't compare )..

. . . Glenn ( in italy )

Grace hot sauce--made in Jamaice, sold in Bermuda and available in Canada--just a few drops does the trick for me. A little hotter than Tabasco. I use it in soups, baked beans, pasta sauces, you name it. I think it's true about hot peppers not causing ulcers, my experience is that salt is worse for that. Here up North the Acadiens use a lot of salt, goes back to the days of no refrigeration I suspect

Voodoo Queen Habenero sauce. Not too hot, full flavored. Good on everything.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!