Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RedLine Zydeco 7/29-30 (New York, Rhode Island)

Hey l'autre RR,

I enjoy your posts always, and hope to hear you guys on some trip south. Thanks for the nod to the RedLine website. Our bass player does web work for a living, and we are the fortunate recipients of his talent. He does freelance web design, in case anyone wants to work with him. Is your radio show on the web?

North Coast RR

Re: Re: RedLine Zydeco 7/29-30 (New York, Rhode Island)

[STATIC] "North Coast... come in... do you read me?"

The internet sure is a lot better than shortwave radio! And whoever thought up the idea of creating a forum where likeminds can assemble to discuss important things like diatonic accordions, hot sauces and burn remedies is just pure genius! (Joanie) I think I'm developing a crush on her...

And how would I have ever known about another RR that plays accordion in a great band hundreds of miles away?! This concept is giving me goosebumps!

Alright, alright...

So I'm a little emotional and just too dang friendly! You asked about my radio gig -- yep, it's on the web at knon.org -- that is IF "great community radio" paid it's bill this month. It's a bare-bones organization, listener sponsored, broadcasting at a respectable 55,000 watts from downtown Dallas, but always short on funding. It's kinda like the only musical oasis on the North Texas airwaves -- a veritable outcast from the commercial schlock polluting the dial. There's every type of music you can imagine sheduled; anything from soca, blues, hip-hop and metal to reggae, Texas country, Ethiopian and Native American, just to peg a few.

My show falls into the "Rock" format -- don't axe me why -- it's *mostly* a nouveau zydeco show. I've been on KNON 89.3 FM for 19 years, starting off doing a reggae show in '87, then discovering Creole culture in Louisiana, and then convincing the station management I would be a better Louisiana jock than a reggae jock. That ain't hard when you consider I'm just an East Texas boy, and while I've traversed the Caribbean countless times, I still don't have a Jamaican accent -- or Cajun accent for that matter.

Nevertheless, I know and love music, and have an enormous collection. I consume it like hot sauce! BUT, my program, The Lousiana Music Party with "T-Richard" airs only once a week and only for one hour, Mondays from 9PM to 10PM. There is another show, The Cajun Hour (Mondays, 8PM to 10PM) hosted by Leo Perron, a 20+ year veteran on the air at KNON and a intresting character to listen to.

I'll be there this Monday and the station is gearing up for pledge drive which is never fun for us jocks. But the good news is, I'll miss my show on 8/7/06 cuz I'll be in Trinidad, W.I. for a little VA, limin' on de beach, mon! Can't wait for the break and to drink some ice-cold Carib and Stags! Not to mention eating lots of hot sauce on my doubles and rotis...

Cool runnin's,

RR

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!