Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2 key accordions

Randy has a patent on the dual-key. He's fiercly protective of it too. I know Gabbanelli has a dual-key single row, much to Randy's chagrin. Any U.S. builder that attempts to build one will face Randy's wrath. That's why there's only one U.S. made dual-key Cajun accordion. I own three of them and admit, they are very convenient and unique, not to mention $$$$. Luckily, I've had them for several years; the price of a Falcon or Martin 4-stop is now the price I paid for the dual-keys, so they are a very attractive investment. There's pluses and minuses with them since they are only 3-stop accordions -- 3 banks of reeds per key -- 25% less sound. They are also much heavier than the standard Cajun box and mic'ing them internally is a hack since there's hardly room inside them to accomodate a mic. But man, they sure are sweet and very beautiful works of art and I think they sound incredible -- internally mic'ed and all.

Rick

Re: Re: 2 key accordions

I understand why Randy would get mad, after all, he had the idea, but I don't think you can patent the idea itself, just the execution. Software companies, for instance, wanted to capitalize on popular programs, so their way of avoiding lawsuits was reverse eneneering. Basicly, here's the final result of what we want, and work backwards on how to do it, making sure not to see how the original was done. Sorta like songs, you can copywrite the song but not the name. In Randy's case, having said all that, it doesn't make it any easier knowing it's his idea in the first place. Me, I'm still mad about Sponge Bob. Long story.

Re: Re: Re: 2 key accordions

Who could possibly live in a pineapple under the sea anyways? I hear ya on the idea vs. the method of execution. How someone could invent another method of achieving a single row dual-key without infringing on Randy's patent is possible, but a difficult prospect I suppose. He's got the most logical, simplest and easiest approach, while still keeping it a "true" single-row melodeon.

Rick

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 key accordions

I disagree that Randy's approach the most direct and simplest approach. Gabbanelli's accordions appear no different than a standard diatonic accordion on the outside except the extra stop on the bass side, and both keys have all four reed banks. Randy was busy thinking outside the box when the answer was inside the box. If he had taken Gabbanelli's approach, his 6-stop accordion could be a three-keyed accordion.

Randy has threatened several people with lawsuits for trying to build two-keyed accordions. He didn't patent a new idea. He patented a design on an old idea, and each one of us has the right to build one if the intent is to improve upon the design.

Ironically, Gabbanelli's two-keyed accordions are only about $600 more than a single as opposed to Falcon's doubled price.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 key accordions

This is not the first time I have heard of Randy trying to scare people and some fall for it. I heard of one guy who built a two key and cut it up because he was afraid of a law suit. If you look back in the history 2 keyed instruments are an old idea. Besides who would want to copy a bad idea like his. What bull ----. There are better designs out there.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am not familiar with such a box. Do you have any pictures?

thanks

Hal

Whats keys does it play in? Or what notes does it have?
It really sounds interesting.

I just spoke to Randy about 4 days ago. I was doing a video for Donna Angelle and the Zydeco Posse in Franklin, La and there was an accordion player there with a band called Mojo. He had a 2 key and a couple of 1 key Falcons. When he played the B flat Falcon, man , I about fell in love with that thing. He let me play on it, pretty cool.

I have a Bon Cajun in "A", but want to get a B flat Falcon BAD. Don't get me wrong, my A box sounds great.

Randy told me they run $2500.00 in 1 key, $4000.00 for 2 keyed.

I am gonna sell my Bon Cajun and save up enough to make up the difference to get the Falcon. It has less than 10 hours on it and is internally miced.

I'm interested in your Bon Cajun in A...if you're serious about selling it let's talk.
Take care, Chuck.

A fool and his money are soon parted....

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 key accordions

Interesting comment, Ben, would you care to elucidate?

Rather ironic quote considering Ben Franklin is the ubiquitous mascot for a hundred bucks!

My two Lincolns,

Rick

I think that he means that anyone who would pay that much for backward tech. of ok quality is a fool. Kind of self explanatory!!.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 key accordions

I hope that those who think it is a fool's game to pay good money for a Cajun accordion will attend to their own advice, and stay out of the market and not drive up prices for those of us who value traditional, handmade accordions. I'm working on my 6th Cajun box, 3 of Larry's, 2 of Mark's, and one from a new builder who isn't quite ready for additional publicity. If that's foolish,so be it.

You might want to hold on to that BON CAJUN since Larry Miller has retired. This fellow is no fool and has parted with his money for a BON CAJUN, 2 ACADIANS, & a POINTE NOIR, all Louisian made.
You can't go wrong with a made in Louisiana accordion.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!