Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Not that one...TQ

Hey there TQ... Truth be known about what it is I need, is that dad blame L. arm to normalize so I can play longer.... I have pretty much stopped playing, save a little bit now and then.

That big PA is best suited to someone like Mark St. Mary. We were on the porch one day, and he told me how he come by playing that big contraption. Said his mom and dad made him sleep in the shed out back for three years... told him he was not coming in the house till he learned to play that Zydeco. I think he was streatching it a bit... as I knew his mom and she was nice lady, one that would not put her boy out for such stuff. Mark's mom passed on about two months back... it's a hard thing for him as he was very devoted to his momma... He calls about every 3 months when he can... Talking old school on that PA for what Mark serves up... that's right.

Re: Re: Morbidoni PA Accordion ..... Thanks Joe

I appreciate your post there Joe.

Re: that accordion and the reasons I ask.

I was installing DSL for an elder lady, and, got to talking about this and that with her. Noticed a fine looking accoustic guitar she had. we talked about the shame of the public education system cutting the music programs from the budgets and nixing the world of music for kids as part of school/education system. Asked if I played music... yep accordion (I told her). She went on to say that she has an accordion.... she got it out of the closet, opened the case and there it was.... a peach of a PA straps and all.

She asked if I could find someone worthwhile to give it to. Told her that there may very well be children in Louisiana that can not afford such an instrument and yet it becomes such a part of the heritage and hope for continuance of vital part of the culture (the music). Actually I believe it was her late husbands accordion, he passed on a yr. ago she said.
She insisted I take it and find it a home. Said I would be delighted.... A charming Lady she was, can't fault her one bit for originally being from Texas.

Here is how it is, for what I think is only right: If I sell it, I will turn the money around and get a few cheap ten button starter accordions. I will ask Chris Miller and others to find the recipient(s), hopefully youngsters that can not afford to simply buy an accordion. Now..If there is a youngster in Louisiana dead set on learning from a PA (such as this), so be it, long live Clifton's sound and the old school of Zydeco (it's all good). I don't seek a dime from it, only the knowledge that it is in the hands of someone that's gonna carry on. My first hope is a child in La. and I will pick up the shipping gladly. It simply seems the right thing to do.

That is the long and short of why I am asking about this particular make of accordion, it needs to live on.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Morbidoni PA Accordion ..... Thanks Joe

Hey Nonc-
it is not the name on the box that determines what is inside. Most of the italian makers made a wide range of products for the local and the export market(s). They often subbed out products and slapped nameplates on stuff that they didn't even look at. Some notable exceptions seem to be Soprani, Bafetti and Castagnari... these companies (and others) are more like LA builders in terms of not just putting their names onto whatever showed up at the door.

So in short, the name Moribundi means nothing. Inspection of the instrument is the only way to determine its value. Based on condition, # of reed sets, and other desirable & undesirable features it will reveal its value.

I would just put it up on ebay unless someone knowledgeable told me that it was a particularly fine accordian. What it draws on ebay these days IS its value.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Morbidoni PA Accordion ..... Thanks SH

Thanks S.H. I see what you're saying.
Mano Mano Mano thing means little to me, then again I am dumb as a box of rocks on those PA things.

I think I will give Mark St. Mary a hoot and have him drop by the house when he gets off the road... As a Zydeco PA player, he would know these things and can perhaps show me what's what and explain the why for.

Honestly, that many buttons (on the left side) simply scares the beegeebees out'a me ... It's all I can do to handle the little French box with far less right brain /left brain activity to worry about... for me, less is good

Thanks S.H.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!