Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shaking that ole Magnolia tree - hummm, watch that limb

Part of the Yap on that Magnolia string is like a chigger in the waist band and socks (ever get a chigger?).... sorta gets under your skin...eh? What the heck, anyways.

Reminds me of the old addage:
one mans junk is another mans treasure. I just dont think we are talking junk however, as much perhaps as purpose ... and why is it that we do what it is we do. Folks, that's where it's at.

What really matters is; what it is worth to the one who is seeking (?). Could be when all is said and done, any accordion could very well be a treasure.. like on the road show thing.. may look like hell, but worth more than gold when all is said and done. Any, hand made accordion is golden if the hands that touch it is right with matters.

Don't know many of you from the man in the you know what, so I wont get overly judgey (as if it would much matter coming from a miserable player the likes of me). What I do know, is that if you got boxes worth a kings ransom, well then you need to thank your stars. Some don't, and never will. It will not make a bit of differance in the heart of what they feel or for what it is that they do have (even a lessor accordion brand)if they are doing matters right.
Our pal Jude says that Magnolia is a quality box made by a man that has passed on, case closed. The worth of such hand made contraptions is a personal thing and should never be put down by someone passing wind from the ole hinney (unless just funnin around and are friends or such). To do so sorta leads to think a person is pompus and outta sorts, make sense (?). Anyone that thinks they have something better (or so they may think) going on, like the accordion of all accordions, good deal.. proud for ya. Doing it right (on any brand) has nothing to do with the brand of a hand made. It is all in the heart for what can't possibly be wrong (if you're doing things right). The very best of players (playing any brand) are the well wishers for all players at all levels, they pass the spud to keep things alive and well and not hitting the ground going to waste. Said I would not get judgey... did not say I would not get preachy can I get an amen?

That said... from one mullet to another; let's get back to the school.

Nonc D

Re: Shaking that ole Magnolia tree - hummm, watch that limb

Amen ah!

>Reminds me of the old addage:
>one mans junk is another mans treasure.

I prefer: One man's junk is another man's future junk.

Re: Re: Shaking that ole Magnolia tree - hummm, watch that limb

Yeah-you-right, Steve. And if anyone wants that roughed up box, they can "Buy It Now" for only $1200!

Sheesh

Nick B

That accordion ain't so bad...

No worse than my C Martin. So what if the buttons are uneven? I can fix that in five minutes. Jo-El played on for years. Nice boxes...

Re: That accordion ain't so bad...your right Tommy

Tommy, I am glad you brought that up and give a cross-comparison. I know you have had some of the finest drulliest boxes (accordions to drull over) that I have seen and squeezed on.

What I am getting at: In the hands of some, even on a rattle trap looking thing, can come the sound of the gods for this particular genre.

Point in case: Tommy I know you well remember that Red Savoy made accordion with the crawfish on the bellows that belonged to Danny P.

Honest to pete, I would have paid $5K for that accordion when he died. Not that it would have made me a better player or that it contained any magic mind ya. Looking at that box, it was rubbed down to the wood and somewhat rugged.... but in the hands of a master it was enchanted, such that the true prize was where it had been and the memories that had swirled around those reeds. Edward had given that box to Jesse Lege' and lets face it, it ment more to some folks than what I can put into words or $figures. On Ebay it would been poo pooed for how it looked by some that may never ever know what it was like in the hands of you know who.

So I say Cosmetics Schmozmetics ... Now then..what guitar player would not pay a hefty price for ole Willy Nelsons nasty beat up old looking hollow body..eh?
It's differant in terms of stardom and all, sure... but the principal is the same.

Anyhow, I am glad you chimed in Tom. Some out there (I fear) just don't quite understand that the glitter on the outside doesn't equate to the overall end result of sound, but to each his/her own I suppose.

Nonc Dave

I have a red, 9 button, Savoy ACADIAN, ten years old, that the late Danny Poullard played. He did not own this box, but played it. The fellow in California that sold me this accordion, had Danny playing in his kitchen on it, just jammin with friends. Included with the accordion were ten CD's of live music, some of Danny playing the accordion in area nightclubs, and some of the home jams with the previous owner and others.

Re: Re: Shaking that ole Magnolia tree - hummm, watch that limb

We all (that studied from him each week) had our accordions blessed by Danny, it seemed one of those ritual things based on a respectful passage type'a thing.
"Load it up with your magic" we'd tell him... and he would for sure.

The red Savoy accordion I mentioned, was a very early model of Marks work. In fact, the reeds were mounted on Felt and anchored with screws to the reed block (which would normally muffle the sound). The Crawfish bellow was done by the guy (Jim) that does the graphics for Junior. Jim lives a mere 35 miles from me and we have talked four or five times on various matters. This artist does exclussive "ONLY" for Martin's accordions. However, one was done up for Danny, which was that accordion that Mark had built (quite unusual). I believe that he also did a graphic of the Frog on the bellows belonging to Ed Lukenbach (one of Danny's deepest heartfelt students of the Traditional Creole style) and also a student (on many levels) and close friend of Junior Martin.

If I am not mistaken, that accordion may have once belonged to John Simeon and it was passed on to Danny when John died. John was a mentor for Danny and also passed the responsibility of the Louisiana Playboys and front accordion slot with his death.

Danny and I had many discussions (as well as his other students each week after week) on many subjects of music and other matters. It was fairly well known that he admired Mark Savoy. Mark had seemingly cut against the lines do's and dont's with his affiliation on the Creole side of matters. This goes back in times, when there were many tracks which folks did not cross. Some of this old hard line change was the partly a reason Jesse and Danny had become so close so quickly in the world of admiration as musicians and friends... that's another subject matter of where we are in the evolution and bridge brought about through sound.

But oh that Red accordion.. yep, it was his prize as rough looking as it was... and he had many accordions and other highly prized instruments in his garage I can tell you.

Nonc D

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!