Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Fred Cormier Magnolia Accordians

Ok, let me say this another way. I need to know how to look at these instruments in person/up close and personal. I am the "wonderful lady in Baton Rouge" that is mentioned in the write up on eBay! I live in Cajun country and see these often and am asked about their value. I've seen, held, and sort of played the one on eBay. (I say sort of played because I really don't know how to play the instrument.) I only played this instrument to figure out what key it was in. So I used buttons 3 - 6 and they worked just fine. The bellows made no sounds that would indicate they were losing air. The bellows moved slowly as I held the instrument and allowed the bellows to open on their own, moving towards the floor.

What major adjustment do you think the keyboard needs?

Scratches - From what you are saying, cosmetic looks are a huge part of whether ot not an accordion has any value or not.

So I ask again, what do I look for/at, listen to/for, etc when evaluating these instruments?

I need to broaden my knowledge base, but so far this isn't happening! That's why I had requested to take this discussion off the forum so I could ask questions and get answers that will help me learn more. So far all I've heard is how awful the instrument is and the reason it's so awful is because you said so. So now I not sure that this forum is an option for me at all.

I just want to learn / need to know more about these instruments - used and new.

Sorry to have asked!

Ms. MaryAnn of Baton Rouge

MaryAnn: at the risk of sounding ... well, somewhat of a horses hiney (though I don't mean it that way)... I would say that the advice (though a wide range) was pretty well presented.

Jude says: if you know the price of a new accordion, let that serve to guide what that particular used one is worth "to You." Jude is, as Jude is, to the point (Sister girl, that is good advice, as I see it)... on the other hand I got a gob of delta wind and often times my posts prove it (lengthy)... and here it goes.

The finger board may cost you several hundred to have reconditioned/replaced (that will depend on the builder and you, as it is negotiated often times)... You may need a tune up for a couple hundred more... any broken reeds would be more yet... new leather figure 50 bucks + .... I suppose it best to say if you don't mind cosmetics because you are learning (if that is what you have in mind) then it may be be a six or seven hundred dollar box worth learning on.

If you read my Magnolia response further up... I mentioned that I would have paid $5K for an accordion just as worn perhaps... however, it had special meaning beyond just an accordion and a gob of reeds.
No way does that, or can that set the mark on any pricing... it is a personal thing.

Now then:
If you are looking to FLIP those boxes (buying low and selling high, not giving a hoot about matters) and make some dough, then you need to do some home work on your own, and, not at the time and knowledge of folks here. That is not really what we are about (in my estimation) as much as helping (hopefully) others through this very lengthy learning process and promoting the music played on accordion in the interest of the French Culture and Heritage, be it Cajun or Creole.

Nobody can tell you what it's true worth is to You... and, nobody is gonna go out on some skinney little limb telling ya; " ah shucks that thing is a steal at a grand" and then go on to risk you jumping back on and telling us what horses hineys we might be for leading ya down that type of pathway. If it were me (knowing it's not) and I was passionate about learning.. and needed a hand built to persue that passion and need... Shucks, I dont care what it looks like, I would be on the porch with it and beyond, that is what I am talking about. If you're wanting some bragging material, then plan on spending some serious dough and bring it up to speed to show on the social forefront. Digest this however: When you get good (or as good as it gets) as a player, nobody in their right mind that understands the gravity and complexity of this music gives a hoot what it looks like. The music is all that matters (if you are planning to learn, that is). Ya don't have to be sorry for asking, ya just have to realize that the laundry list of responses all have substance based on the variation of personal interest in Cajun Accordions as a whole.

Bon Chance

Re: Ms. MaryAnn of Baton Rouge

Nonc, some day someone should put all your gobs of delta wind into a book.

Wise advise as always. From my perspective a used accordion is not like a used car, which has a pretty set worth based on measurable mileage and "character". A used accordion, especially handmade, is more in the art category. The character on it is worth something to some, and is a price reduction to others, and who made it and who owned it are worth something to others.

I have a well worn, old Hohner 114 with rust, scratches, dents and a broken reed, but as the gift from a friend whose dad once owned it, I wouldnt take the "buy now" price on that ebay box for it.

Mary Ann, what I feel everyone (who besides me, is very knowledgeable in these things) is trying to tell you, is that it is pretty darn hard to put a pat price on a used hand made accordion. If I had $1200 to put on an accordion and that box had no sentimental value to me, I would put that money towards a new one. Just my uneducated 2 cents.

Good luck with it.

General comments on ebay

This discussion is great because it shows a lot of information that is hard to come by.

Last month there was a Shine Mouton accordion that I purchased after reading the discussion on this board. Not all the comments were positive. The surface rust created a good bit of concern and the seller provided no information on the history. Ebay operates on the premise that most people are honest and for the most part, I've found that to be true. For some reason the seller took my offer of $395.

Local sources (thanks guys!) sent me off to Greg Mouton with my prize. He pointed out that the instrument was not played that much, just enough to show some wear on the lacquer by the 567 buttons. He also pointed on that the thumb strap was set up for a kid. I'm looking forward to getting out of Greg's shop in Crowley when he's finished sprucing it up.

This one also shows minimal wear on the bellows. When you weigh sinking money into a Hohner of taking a chance on this Magnolia, the choice is simple. Someone will be happy with this deal.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!