Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

Hi Dave-

So you used the element from a shure 57 ?

I have a 57... think I can just take out the element or do I need other parts?

I send Joanie the jpeg, and hopefully she will post it here.

later

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

John,

Yes, I just unscrewed the lower part of the mic case, and took off the top screen. It didn't seem like was any way to get the mic out of the middle section of the mic case, so I just left it in there.

You also need a transformer if you intend to hook up the mic with a guitar jack and cord, rather than an XLR connector. I used to get them from Larry Miller, but since he is retired, I don't know if that is an option any longer. Also, you need a sealed phone jack - don't use the open jacks as they will leak air.

The picture looks real nice - that is a cool box!

-David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

You might be better off with the element from an sm48.
The mic is cheap, can handle the sound pressure levels, and best of all does not need a transformer.

My 2-cents.

DP

How's the sound?

OK, they are cheap. But I don't care about cheap. How do they sound?

-David

Thanks Dave--- I am gonna give it a try. Anyone know where I can get the transformer?

I have xlr to 1/4" transformers, but they are huge & heavy things and use the xlr plug--- which if I understand you correctly --- is to be disconnected.

Somebody must be filling the Larry Miller gap (not at events I am sure)... at least in trms of having these parts.

BTW--- the box is great looking & great sounding, and the buttons are nicely tapered to the holes in the fingerboard so you can just glide effortlessly over them. Highly recommend this box for that Bafetti sound at a small fraction of the price.

And Dave--- if you remember my daughter Emily--- well she now lives in Prague, so I am thinking I can get into some Czech accordian joints when we get over there.

hey Dave--

The 57 came right apart for me... but it looks really weird.

The element has a long threaded screw on the bottom that screws into a plastic piece that has the wires attached (?) No wires to the element itself (?)

Know where I might be able to get a picture of how this element is wired when out of its case?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

I will need to go back and check how I have it wired, but it is very simple.

As far as I know, there is no good way to remove the mic element from the middle section of the mic case. I just clipped the wires going to the bottome section, and then wired them up to the little transformer and airtight phone jack.

You are correct about those big transformer/converters - that is not what you want to use. Instead, it is a little transformer, about 1 inch square and maybe 3/4 inch deep. You just wire it up in line between the mic and the jack.

It may be that a SM57 won't work out due to space constraints inside the accordion - it just barely fit on mine. Like Larry and DP have pointed out, there are other mic element alternatives that are smaller and/or don't require a transformer. But, I have used the R-65 elements and now the SM-57 and they get the job done for me. There are plenty of people who go that route, and it seems to work for them. I got the idea to try the SM57 from Leroy Thomas a few years ago when he was in town.

-David

Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

Try Mouser Electronics. They distribute components with no minimum order.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!