Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

hey Dave--

The 57 came right apart for me... but it looks really weird.

The element has a long threaded screw on the bottom that screws into a plastic piece that has the wires attached (?) No wires to the element itself (?)

Know where I might be able to get a picture of how this element is wired when out of its case?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

I will need to go back and check how I have it wired, but it is very simple.

As far as I know, there is no good way to remove the mic element from the middle section of the mic case. I just clipped the wires going to the bottome section, and then wired them up to the little transformer and airtight phone jack.

You are correct about those big transformer/converters - that is not what you want to use. Instead, it is a little transformer, about 1 inch square and maybe 3/4 inch deep. You just wire it up in line between the mic and the jack.

It may be that a SM57 won't work out due to space constraints inside the accordion - it just barely fit on mine. Like Larry and DP have pointed out, there are other mic element alternatives that are smaller and/or don't require a transformer. But, I have used the R-65 elements and now the SM-57 and they get the job done for me. There are plenty of people who go that route, and it seems to work for them. I got the idea to try the SM57 from Leroy Thomas a few years ago when he was in town.

-David

Re: HELLZA - HONKIN'

Try Mouser Electronics. They distribute components with no minimum order.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!