Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amping Mic'ing for beginners...?

I have followed most mic and amping threads over the years on this and other forums.. but unfortunately am no more wiser than before.. I guess it is my lack of tech skills..

Just back from Saulieu ( France ) CZ fest..and saw Jimmy Thibodeux's mic'd Martins.. ( all 9 of them! ).. he did outside mic for Cajun songs and inside mic for the Zydeco songs.. same box different mic set up for each.... just pull the plug or clip on the chord or mic on each box in seconds.

Any advice on how to do a plug in / clip on option on a box. Just need a model name of internal and outside mic ..

Thanks.. GLENN

Re: Amping Mic'ing for beginners...?

I use a Audio Technica ATM 35, because Dirk Powell (Balfa Toujours) advise me to do so.
It's a clip microphone for trumpets,saxophone etc.
It's give a good sound for Cajun.
I have heard that there's a same kind of microphone from Shure that's also good.
I don't know what kind they use for the inside.

Re: Re: Amping Mic'ing for beginners...?

Thanks very much..! will definitely check that out. If anyone can advise an internal mic.. Shure ? or other .. ( jack or prong type? )

Thanks.GLENN

Re: Re: Re: Amping Mic'ing for beginners...?

The three Shures I can think of, are the 57, 58, and 545. You can probably pick them up cheap used and gut them for the element and transformer. Last one I did, I ordered the element (a 545) through a music store and saved a bit of time.
You can wire it either high or low impedance. I prefer high, because I use a beltpack EQ/volume, then into a wireless pack.
Steve

do you know the van vlodrops?

paul?

jt

I know the name.
Paul ans Lody play or have played in several Bluegrass bands.
Do you ment the same persons?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Amping Mic'ing for beginners...?

Yes I do! I played with Paul back in 75 and 76 in Utrecht. I went to school there for a while. Great people!

jt

Re: Amping Mic'ing for beginners...?

If you want the classic Cajun external sound, the SM48 head is a great choice.

It's cheap and does not need a transformer.
Here's a picture of one I made. (ignore the wireless attachment)

Very neat work. Nicely done.

Thanks guys..for the help.. all very welcome.. I've taken notes and am taking my boxes in to my tuner in a few months to get amplied.. he's never worked on amping Cajun boxes so everything helps !
G.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!