Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

Hey David,
How much are they going for?
John

Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

John,

List in US is $350, which isn't cheap. The available discounts I have seen only take off $20.

-David

Re: Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

I've been using minidisk for years and for the most part, lived with the short comings such as not being able to download digitally. You might want to investigate what seems to be the latest trend, recording to memory cards. The major player seems to be EDIROL R-09 WAVE / MP3 Recorder. Marantz has one with more bells and whistles that they designed for SansDisk with XLR inputs. Haven't personally tried any of them, but I like the concept of uploading and downloading with memory cards that are readily available. Also, less moving parts, less to jam or go wrong. Anyone have experience with these recorders?
Steve

Re: Memory cards

I really think that is a much better idea.
Since compct flash is available in 2 GB, sounds like a winner to me.

Now, who makes a good memory card recorder?

DP

Re: Re: Memory cards

I use the latest Sony HD Mini-Disc (the black one) to record rehearsals -- even gigs (for reference) with quite good results. One disc will record up to 6 hours of music and, yes you can upload directly to your computer.

With accolades aside, I'd recommend something else like a digital harddrive recorder. The local Guitar Center (guitarcenter.com) sells one that I wish I had tried out before replacing my old portable MD with the latest technology. I love the MD technology, but Sony's proprietary file system and dealing with Sonic Stage to convert the files to something I can burn a disc from simply s-u-c-k-s. While it's quicker and easier than real-time recording to a CD component and inserting track marks, etc., the software hurdles you have to jump through, not to mention the learning curve, is a royal pain in the tookus.

There's other drawbacks like the fact that my old MDs, recorded from my MD stereo deck can't be played on the new Sony HD MD. Also, to record to the HD from a stereo component requires digital output -- another caveat if you don't have a total digital system.

The biggest "gotcha" for me is I'm a Mac dude. I have to use my girlfriend's Win box to do all my MD uploads an conversions. Grrrrr....

Nevertheless, the MD format AND this Sony HD MD is an awesome device. I use it all the time despite its headaches.

Sorry I've been quiet on the forum. I'm just getting back into the groove after 10 fabulous days in Trinidad and Tobago. Yes bwoy! Mi been limin' on de beach drinkin' Stag and Caribs and eatin' mi roti! Life is one big fete -- yuh onnastond mi, bwoy!

Mash up de place!

T-Richard

Check the specs - this thing is BRAND new.

Hi Rick,

Sounds like a nice getaway you just had.

I don't think we are talking about the same MD. This is the RH1, not RH10. It was only announced at the end of March, and I think has only been shipping in the US for a month or two (not sure exactly).

One of the key features is MAC support. I know from the Minidisc forums that this was a huge omission before, but they seem to have VASTLY improved the situation. Also, it seems like it can read/play all the previous MD formats, and allows uploads to PC or MAC. There is also a line-in option for recording from a non-digital source (if I remember right).

The buzz on the forums is that Sony listened to its users and finally got it right (or nearly so - at least MUCH better than before).

-David

Re: Check the specs - this thing is BRAND new.

Aw crud! I shoulda waited a few months. Oh well. I still love the little critter! I've gotten used to the hoops to jump through. Sure beats cassette... or lugging around a laptop. Good luck David!

T-Rick

Rick, what model do you have? The new Mac software might work for you.

Rick,

Check the link above. The new software might work for you with the recorder that you already have. Here is an excerpt:

The functions provided by this software varies by model.

For the MZ-M200/MZ-RH1:

* You can import audio data recorded in Linear PCM, Hi-SP or Hi-LP mode on the Macintosh-compatible Hi-MD Walkman® Recorder to a Macintosh® computer after converting to WAV format audio data.*1
* You can download WAV*2 or MP3 format audio data from a Macintosh computer to a Hi-MD Walkman Recorder.*3
* You can change a track or group title in a Hi-MD™ Minidisc media, and change the order of tracks or groups.
* You can erase the tracks or groups in a Hi-MD Minidisc media.

For the MZ-M10/MZ-M100:

* You can import audio data recorded in Linear PCM, Hi-SP or Hi-LP mode on the Macintosh-compatible Hi-MD Walkman Recorder to a Macintosh computer after converting to WAV format audio data.*1
* You can download MP3 format audio data from a Macintosh computer to a Hi-MD Walkman Recorder.*3
* You can change a track or group title in a Hi-MD Minidisc media, and change the order of tracks or groups.

For the MZ-DH10P/MZ-DH710/MZ-RH10/MZ-RH710/MZ-RH910

* You can download MP3 format audio data from a Macintosh computer to a Hi-MD Walkman Recorder.*3
* You can change a track or group title in a Hi-MD Minidisc media, and change the order of tracks or groups.

Re: Rick, what model do you have? The new Mac software might work for you.

David -- you rock, my friend! I can't wait to try this out with my (M-100) tonight -- after my zydeco radio show. (another shameless plug!)

I'll let you know how it works out for me. Thanks again Mr. Sousa!

Rick

Not sure about Edirol sound quality.

I don't have any experience with any of those memory card readers. On some of the forums I have been reading, there were comments that the sound quality of EDIROL units was poor.

-David

Re: Not sure about Edirol sound quality.

you will find that the flash players
are built by computer engineers, not audio
guys

it may seem like they do everything, but
the computer guys don;t really know what
you NEED to do all the time, so common
functions may be buried in layers of
menus

also they usually have cheap preamps
and output amplifiers

i'm a MD fan
thought about the new slick one, but not
yet for me

i still get by with the MDLP ones

wle.

These things are everywhere in Japan -- they have much better specs than I-Pods, and are great for on-the-fly live recording...

Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

So what kind of mic would you guys recommend buying for recording live Cajun gigs?
John

Re: Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

I've been using a pair of AT condensor mics that are wired to a single 1/8" plug. They both have lapel clips making it easy to attatch to just about anything. My MD is pretty old - no built in mic, but even if it did, you'd probably pick up noise from the motor. Another advantage of the memory card based recorders, no moving parts, no noise. Check out soundprofessionals.com. They are a little pricey, but it's a good place to see what's available and see what works best for you
One comment about MDs veruses card based recorders. Recording has come a long. long way. Wasn't that long ago I was using cassettes. You lived with the quality - or the lack of it. . Wasn't that long ago people complained about mp3s being inferior to CDs. It's all relative. Most of us aren't going to be releasing a CD recorded from a minidisk or a handheld harddrive recorder. And no matter what you get, something will come out you wish you had waited for. Seems to me that it comes down to what's right for you. It's all a trade off. Sound quality, ease of use, abiltity to transfer - all considerations, but it still comes down to what is right for you.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

I use the Sony ECM-719 unidirectional stereo mic with my MiniDisc. It works very well for my needs.

Rick

Hi.. Used to use a sony minidisc for a couple of years to learn songs on the road. Have become very dis-satisfied with them. Barely 1 month old, the anti-shock feature failed, and repairs were going to take weeks. Only at my insistance did sony replace it. At the 2 year mark, the reading head mechanism failed.......... $350.00 to fix. Just tossed it aside. I know that Mp3's and Ipods don't have some of the features of a mini disk, but mini disks are very much like old camcorders. ....too many fragile parts to expext it to function trouble free for any length of time. I now record songs using the "Amazing Slower Downer" programme onto my Ipod and it works great to learn songs when I'm on the road.

JL

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!