Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

So what kind of mic would you guys recommend buying for recording live Cajun gigs?
John

Re: Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

I've been using a pair of AT condensor mics that are wired to a single 1/8" plug. They both have lapel clips making it easy to attatch to just about anything. My MD is pretty old - no built in mic, but even if it did, you'd probably pick up noise from the motor. Another advantage of the memory card based recorders, no moving parts, no noise. Check out soundprofessionals.com. They are a little pricey, but it's a good place to see what's available and see what works best for you
One comment about MDs veruses card based recorders. Recording has come a long. long way. Wasn't that long ago I was using cassettes. You lived with the quality - or the lack of it. . Wasn't that long ago people complained about mp3s being inferior to CDs. It's all relative. Most of us aren't going to be releasing a CD recorded from a minidisk or a handheld harddrive recorder. And no matter what you get, something will come out you wish you had waited for. Seems to me that it comes down to what's right for you. It's all a trade off. Sound quality, ease of use, abiltity to transfer - all considerations, but it still comes down to what is right for you.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

I use the Sony ECM-719 unidirectional stereo mic with my MiniDisc. It works very well for my needs.

Rick

Re: Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Walkman MiniDisc/MP3 Digital Music Player

Hi.. Used to use a sony minidisc for a couple of years to learn songs on the road. Have become very dis-satisfied with them. Barely 1 month old, the anti-shock feature failed, and repairs were going to take weeks. Only at my insistance did sony replace it. At the 2 year mark, the reading head mechanism failed.......... $350.00 to fix. Just tossed it aside. I know that Mp3's and Ipods don't have some of the features of a mini disk, but mini disks are very much like old camcorders. ....too many fragile parts to expext it to function trouble free for any length of time. I now record songs using the "Amazing Slower Downer" programme onto my Ipod and it works great to learn songs when I'm on the road.

JL

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!