Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Remembering Kermit Venable

Hey Nick and Christian,
I had the honor of playing with Kermit at the majority of his gigs over the past 3 years. I actually played on his last gig this past saturday. He was so optimistic about getting gigs now because after the storm Michaul's closed for good. He definately was an old style accordion player. I've heard the story about Canray and all of the other stories he had about all the guys most of us have only read about. About the BeauBassin CD, the record company that produced it was actually based out of New Orleans and was completely flooded by Katrina. I'm pretty sure the company is slooowly getting back up and running but after the storm the only way Kermit could sell cd's was with burned copies. I'm going to miss playing with him and hearing all the stories he had. Unfortunately he didn't have insurance, so its been really hard trying to gather up the money to have him cremated so he can be buried next to his wife in Church Point.

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Remembering Kermit Venable

John,
Kermit and BeauBassin produced a CD called "Traditional Cajun" in 1996. Used copies of the CD can be purchased from Amazon.com.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Remembering Kermit Venable

His style kinda reminded me of Nonc Allie Young. I saw him in Michaul's once -- he was very nice to my young daughter, taught her a few dance steps and stuff. sorry to hear he's gone, he was a very nice man.

BuFraw

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!