Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: allan lomax's film about cajuns

In response to Nick. There may have been a few protestants around Louisiana .
Apparently there were some french protestants (Hugenots) among the original settlers in Acadia as in la Nouvelle France (now Quebec). They are mentioned in the history books. For instance, there is one Charles Violette a Swiss who emigrated to work as a couvreur in the fortress of Louisbourg in Acadia . The book I read said he later converted to Catholicism. I'm sure there were fewer Protestant pastors in the New World than Catholic priests, and many eventually married or became Catholic. There was more religious tolerance in the North American colonies than in France where the king, Louis 14th revoked the protestant's right to free worship in 1685. After that many french protestants went either to England, America or some to New France (Canada) or Acadia. My mother' s family the Lavers were Hugenots and arrived in Nova Scotia via Portsmouth about 50 years after the Deportation.

Re: Re: allan lomax's film about cajuns

Bryan if ya cant get it to come up go to this link

http://www.folkstreams.net/

the link i posted you need apple's quicktime movie viewer to see it...there is also a "real" version but i'd suggest if you dont have apple's quicktime just to download its a great movie viewer.

i love this film..for me it was almost on par with ja'i ete au bal..but this one is FREE :)

It is "Lache Pas La Patate."

Dowell

Alan Lomax did a series for PBS called American Patchwork that explored many typed of American music, including Cajun. If you can get your hands on this video set it is great stuff.
PBS also had a retrospective about Lomax on TV recently. His work has done so much to capture and preserve the culture of the American mix for us to enjoy. My perspective from these videos and folk recording over the last forty years of my life is that the people making the music were singing about their life and times and there is alot of great regional and national history stored in the song Lomax recorded.
Leslie

Re: allan lomax's film about cajuns

So many good people to see again! Especially enjoyed Revon and Sady at Fred Tate's with Jack Leger on accordion! Pres Manuel! I could see a week's worth of this kind of thing, like a Ken Burns miniseries.

You know, I frequent a board like this about jazz music, and those guys on that board don't know nothing. They have a thread where they are actually discussing whether jazz is the only original art form contributed to the world by America. Pense donc! All our music couldn't have happened anywhere else but here, if you ask me.

Yup, kinda like that gumbo that is the best ever but you dont remember what you put in it because it was just what happened to be on hand at that time, so it can never be duplicated.

I have noticed before, people from outside Louisiana notice things from a perspective we sometimes dont dont see until it is pointed out.

This is apparently American Patchworks "Lache Pas La Patate" made in around 1980. It makes me homesick everytime I see it.

Bryan:

I'm not from Acadiana and it made me homesick as well.

Peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: allan lomax's film about cajuns

Neat film....when was it produced?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: allan lomax's film about cajuns

The video release was 1990, but since in the film Lomax states in one instance that Dennis McGee was 91 at the time, that would have been around 1984 or 1985 that this was filmed, I think.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: allan lomax's film about cajuns

It may have been over several years. Two girls that were in my high school class (including my old girlfriend) were in it and we graduated in 82, I was guessing that part (the Tournoi) was in around 80 or 81.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: allan lomax's film about cajuns

I did some looking on the net and found out that you are exactly right. The segments were taped over several years. The actual airdate of the program was sometime in early 1990, by which time McGee was no longer around.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!