Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: traditional cajun music and the other stuff

you might re-consider going all-traditional (unless you're on the tour circuit in Louisiana). For all their efforts at re-positioning themselves as traditionalists today, guys like Steve Riley and Wayne Toups first got noticed for their different"ness". Speaking for myself, I have depleted the Cajun/Zydeco bins at Borders and Barnes and Nobles (minus Rosie Ledet and Beausoleil) and got my Nathan and Iry compilations from the internet where I also got from Neal's site what I couldn't find elsewhere. Quite frankly, my some 100 + cd's are IT as far as I'm concerned when it comes to traditional stuff.
Unless you have an incredible cultural stake in re-hashing what's been done, my humble advice: Keep it as French as you can (Cajun), Stay true to the 10-row and make sure that if you gig, it's not just once a year (Mardi Gras). Get that Cajun accordion heard as much and as often as possible. Get them hooked with your own thing, hopefully something they can relate to. If with luck you've managed to point them to Amede or Aldus in the process, you've done your part. Best of luck ever with whatever you undertake.
JP

Re: traditional cajun music and the other stuff

ac,

I have a lot of talented musician friends who have taken a run at full time music, mostly Folk and Blugrass. I is HUGE effort for modest pay.

Another good example is Ryders In The Sky. They do traditional Cowboy music. They have been on TV, the Opry and numerious PBS broadcasts. They have made a living at it for more than 20 years. But, take a look at their tour schedule, number of ex-wives, miles driven etc. and the glory fades.

Still, you live in a country where you are free to pursue your dreams, and someone is going to be the one in a million.

Good Luck
RPr

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!