Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Heads up on the new book on Iry LeJeune

hiya charlie....
this is precisely why we love playing music with you.....where ya been at? why aren't you beating our door down to get some gigs goin?????
ha!
see you soon....
roger

Sounds an awful lot like...

Robert Johnson.

Did Iry go to the crossroads also? Somewhere down a stretch from Lacassine?

(This is a joke so no flame throwers on this OK?)

Peace,
Griff

He said, "I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie, in a small drinking village with a fishing problem."

Some speculation... (was "More Confusion")

I believe, "Lawtell Two-Step" and "Pauche Town Special" may in fact be Iry LeJune Jr. recordings, with the "Jr." "accidently" left off. If I recall correctly, the tape I had Jr.'s "Evangeline Special" on, the recording was credited as just "Iry LeJune".

Eddie Shuler wasn't the most organized and/or honest person now, was he?

Re: Some speculation... (was "More Confusion")

Iry LeJeune, Jr. is a pseudonym that according to Ron Yule, that was Eddie Shuler's brainchild. Eddie Shuler wanted to continue to capitalize on the legend of Iry LeJeune even after he was killed. Ron says it was Ervin. It wouldn't surprise me if other people played on the recordings...and Eddie just labeled the records Iry or Iry Jr. The artists themselves might not even be aware of it. Neither of these songs were THE Iry LeJeune.

I will see if Ron can put a paragraph or two RE the whole Iry LeJeune Jr. ordeal because he doesn't say a word about it as it currently reads.

Identity of Iry LeJeune Jr.?

I also wouldn't be surprised if Joel Sonnier were the player labeled Iry Jr. on at least some of those recordings I have heard.

Re: 26 Iry Songs?

I got the 26 song info from this article about Iry, but I don't know for sure if there was 26 or 25 songs. I was sure someone here would know the story. CM's story about the missing recordings is neat. I will be waiting to hear about the books release.

http://www.cajunfrenchmusic.org/biographies/lejeune-i.htm

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!