Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: French and Cajun French

hi christian....it's roger from new york.....lost your email and want to send you a note.......send me a note at faisdodo2@hvc.rr.com

bon soir!
roger

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: French and Cajun French

Hi Roger,
When I try I get a message saying that there is something wrong in your address.

Christian

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

hi christian....it's roger from new york.....lost your email and want to send you a note.......send me a note at faisdodo2@hvc.rr.com

bon soir!
roger

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: French and Cajun French

"Standard" French was once a dialect of French... and it still is just a dialect of French. I remember reading that only 7% of French-speaking people in the world speak Parisian French, simply because Paris is just one city within the entire French-speaking world.

To learn a little more about how a dialect becomes the national standard, check out Website Link #3.

When I was in Belgium, we visited one of my friends' aunts, an old lady who was probably 80-somehting years old, and she spoke with a rolled "r." Also, a lady from France told me that in the northern French countryside it's common to hear "Mon, j'connais" and "Mon, j'connais pas" rather than the "standard" "Moi, je sais" and "Moi, je ne sais pas." Also, in Vendée (the west of France) they use "être après + infinitive" to form the present progressive verb tense (the English present -ing tense).

So, yeah, Parisian French ain't all that. In my opinion, it seems unnatural. Cajun French is easier and it just rolls off my tongue like rain falling out of the sky to nourish a garden. Without Cajun French in Louisiana, the Cajun garden will surely dry up and never grow back. We must speak it for our garden to grow. We must BE the change that we want to see in the world.

---Roy---

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: French and Cajun French

First time I came in Quebec, I heard my canadian buisness partner say: "C'est vrai bien de même, je suis bien aise"(I cannot write the accent)
it seemed to me I was some years before listening to gallo which is the french like dialect spoken in the eastern part of brittany. This language I learned from my O'ma and spoke with other boys back in the fifties.
As a "monsieur docteur" I would not dare and speak this gallo with well to do people in France.
France is full of Franglais, IE english words: email, shopping, best sellers; our french speaking cousins in Qc say: courriel, magasinage, meilleurs vendeurs.
Ils sauveront le français! amis acadiens aidez nous aussi!
Have you read the book of claude Duneton, "La mort du français", it is about all we are just writing about
The french speaking Homo sapiens is an endangered specy and should be protected as such!
Hervé
(breton living in Rheims)

Babarotte

"a small southwest French village where the old folks sounded remarkably Cajun and hardly ever had any contacts with Paris"....

Ton Merlot te monte à la caboche, mon pauv' vieux !

Re: Babarotte

Babarotte de mes deux!
chu pas ton "pauv' vieux" eh! du con.

Re: Re: Babarotte

Thank you, Jean-Pierre, for your most dignified words :

You wrote back:

++++Babarotte de mes deux!++++

+++++ chu pas ton "pauv' vieux" eh! du con.++++

which I'll roughly translate for my dear friends on this forum. Your words are:

"Fancy, my balls !
I'm not your 'poor ole chum', hey you c.u.n.t !"

Thanks again.

My reply to your most elegant words is simply this:

Asinus asinum fricat !

But I suppose you don't understand latin, do you ?

Gerard Dole

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!