Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: "Diamond" brand cajun accordion on Ebay

Wants $1,650. Is this some kind of joke?

Re: "Diamond" brand cajun accordion on Ebay

H.J. THIBODEAUX, DIAMOND brand cajun accordion. It's still on ebay, it was just renewed for another 30 day run. It can be see on EBAY in ebay stores. the name of the store is MMM coins

compared to a new Martin, 1650 for that Diamond is kinda a bargain, if it is in good shape. I am not ashamed to say that I paid 1850 for Larry English's ten year old POINTE NOIR & case and I am not the least bit disappointed in it. can't go wrong on a handcrafted Louisiana box. the LEFTY on ebay didn't sell. the guy still swears that it can be played right or left handed. high bid was 700 which didnt meet his RESERVE price

Did you notice that H.J. Thibodeaux is in Houston, Texas ?

( BTW, I have the opportunity to meet this man. I have not yet seen one of his instruments in person ).
Jude

100 dollars for shipping this thing./?

$100 shipping?
wle.

Re: Something's Fishey about this bleached out walnut thing

Yep Fishey alright.

First off the seller says it is Oklahoma Claro Walnut. What the heck is Oklahoma Claro Walnut anyhow?

Why is it fishey?

Well I studied up on that Claro Walnut business years back when Larry Miller got a run on it from a mill in California. Now as I understand, the Claro Walnut trees were planted by the Spaniards while they were exploring California back way before this joint was ever a state. The tree that was taken out (commissioned by the state) had a burl on it to die for, and, when the word got out about this stuff, ole Larry gets on the horn right quick and gets hold of a gob of fancy wood out that thing known as Claro Walnut (from walnut grove California of all places).
About that time I looking for a dandy C box and wound up having Larry do me up one with that Claro Walnut.
That tree (where the wood came from for my C box)was about 21 miles from where I live and after talking with Larry and getting the number to the mill (located in Grass Valley Ca.) I called those folks as a follow up on Larry's version ... sure as the world it was so.

Now if this species of Walnut is tagged to what those Spaniards brought in while building their missions and procurring land and what not in California, including planting these specific type walnut trees,,, how in heavens name did the wood or trees get to Oklahoma??
Oh, I suppose a little birdy could'a crapped a seed after a about a 1800 mile journey, and, a big ole Claro walnut tree emerges.. although I doubt it... as a reason I think it's sorta fishey.

Honestly, looking at the pictures of that accordion it doesn'nt have any characteristics of looking like Claro Walnut ... I mean to tell ya that Dark Claro Walnut is unmistakable for one thing, and this box does not look like walnut to me at all... unless there is some blond walnut floating around with a Claro name tagged to it... could be albino Claro who can say?

Thoughts?

What the heck ?

thanks for pointing out that the DIAMOND builder is in Texas. For some reason I thought he was in lake charles, la. H.J. Thibodeaux is listed in Larry Miller's book, I CAN PLAY CAJUN ACCORDION, version revised 2003.

Yea, I have met Horace ( H. J. Thib ) a couple of times. He's a good guy. I have not seen or played one of his instruments though.
Jude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!