Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Joel Sonnier

Aaron,

This is my OPINION, some people may things quite differently.

I wouldn't ask him. This man has been a true professional in every sense of the word. He has many recordings out...and he has top ten country hits as well. His band rehearses exact arrangements of tunes and I don't think they would be receptive to having someone sit in. Because Jo-el has such name recognition, I don't think the customers, who have come to see him, would appreciate someone who they don't know taking his place. I just think it is inappropriate.

I really don't think it is appropriate for anyone in your stage of the game to be approaching bands asking to sit in. You need to go to jam sessions if you are looking to sit in with people. Then maybe someone will INVITE you to sit in...that's much more desirable. I always say...if they want you to sit in, then they will ask you. Otherwise let the band do the job they were hired to do...especially professional acts like Jo-el.

go for it Aaron. If you play as good as you say, go for it, just be polite. Life is short. a no is not the end of the world

Re: Re: Joel Sonnier

i sort of agree with not asking

because it puts pressure on joel to say no,
if that is what he wants

i always get nervous whenever someone wants
to sit in with even our small time band.

about half the time it ends in tears.

and i hate to tell people no, though i do.

on the other hand, there is probably also some
really nice polite way to ask, that wouldn;t make
him feel under pressure..

wle.

Re: Re: Re: Joel Sonnier

even though it would be great to sit in with joel's band i'm sure joel is prob sick of aspiring accordion/fiddle players wanting to sit in with his band or him...he prob gets asks this question multiple time wherever he goes....of course it doesnt hurt to ask and by now it prob wont hurt joel to say no...again..never know till ya ask.......let us know what happened...good luck

I was under the impression that it was proper "etiquette" to wait to be asked no matter what caliber of musician you are. My musician friends tell me that they would never think of making such a request. The honor is in being invited up. If the band knows you and respects the way you play - they will invite you to sit in (if it is appropriate to the venue.) Just my two cents.

Megan

You would better serve your own needs by just enjoying the show...

Re: Re: Joel Sonnier

you all have a point, and megan, your right but the band has to know who you are first also, I see nothing wrong with going up there to him introducing myself and saying hey i play the accordian and then going sit down and see what happens. Never asking though.

Re: Re: Re: Joel Sonnier

on a few occasions I've gone to see well known artists ( Flaco Jimenez, Dave Alvin, and others ), with whom I would never dream of playing with publically,but, after the gig, I got to know them back stage, and often an improvised jam session would ensue.. a spontaneous gesture on their part is worth the wait. Otherwise, a nice gesture would be not to do any playing but to get one of their CD's signed, an accordion signed, or leave them with a CD of yours ( even if homespun ).

Good luck ! Joel is one of my Cajun heroes for sure.

Glenn

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!