Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: pre WW2 accordions

Chris,

I have one of these new accordions and compared to my 1968 model or my 1987 model, it blows them away!!

I used to hate to play on the 1968 because it was so much weaker than the 1987 that I would have to adjust the PA. Now I have the reverse problem- I have to adjust the PA up for the 87 when using the same mic.

I don't know what makes the difference, but its major. The lesson is, whatever work you do, always strive for perfection and improvement.

Re: Re: pre WW2 accordions

How come is John Gabbanelli.Jr saying that his Cajun King Accordion ligne steems from a 1960's prototype that his father created?, now, now "Cajun Green eyes", relax,relax, I didn't invent anything, that writing is on the Gabb web site.
And the early sixties is when Marc , invented the "Modern " cajun accordion.
But I have always been under the impression that John and Marc were somehow "linked" in that invention,or was John " THERE" first,please someone correct me.

The other thing is that , Marc has never built an accordion in his life, tune them perhaps, building no.
So, perhaps John, with his Italian buiders contacts or alonecollaboratly with Marc build in the early sixties the first Cajun accordion prototype.

Please, do me a favour sign with your own name,as it could mean that your'e trying to hide something
Or if you prefer send me a personnal e-mail with your proper name.
And you don't have to capitalize my name as it gives it an exagerated importance that it really, does not need .

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: pre WW2 accordions

Back in the 60's John Gab. and Mark were working a deal out because it seems Mark was trying to get the cajun type accordion made in Italy. Well John had a bunch of that stuff made, cheap wood and masonite end plates. A lot like Sidney Brown was making. Well for some reason the deal fell through. Some say Mark just got someone around Eunice to copy the sample he got but used better wood all around and told John Gab. to buzz off. So today they ain't to friendly with each other. Back in the early 80's someone I know got a sample and was offered a whole bunch that stuff John still had around but, it the stuff was just too cheap. So guys listen up. Claude knows what he is talking about.

Re: pre WW2 accordions

the information is there in black and white in Marc's writings section. have you read them all? like it or not, Marc Savoy is the father of the modern day Cajun accordion. Like he says on his website, his ACADIAN accordion sound has been imitated, but not duplicated. the man started playing at age twelve. he is a master builder and master accordionist.

Man, are you on the Savoy Music Center payroll or something. I think Mr. Savoy is comfortable enough with himself and his own accomplishments that he doesn't need you to toot his horn in every thread. Besides, if anybody is the father of Louisiana made accordions it's Sidney Brown, he was making them before Marc.

I found on a Dutch website a museum for accordions.
You will find it on the second link.

Au shucks dam! Go to link # 2. It looks like Mark came a little late in the accordion business. Look at all those accordions he did not invent. Oh well he is old enough anyway
Guys if you all could check out some accordions made in Quebec you would see where Mark got the idea. When the builders there began building accordions they played around a lot with the reed blocks and discovered what Mark is doing now. So he got it from them. At the time he was selling a lot of accordions in Quebec but when they started building there it was with a burst and they pretty well shut him out. They wanted a fast response and a loud accordion and that is what they got. So Mark copied the reed blocks and Voila. Now all this is not rocket science, just make measurments and copy what you see especially if you can get hold of an accordion made in Quebec.

When I mentioned reedblocks back at the start I only intended it as an interesting technical digression for those of us sad enough to be interested in the workings. I hadn't intended to rekindle the Marc Savoy debate.

I would, however, just add one thought on the Gabbanelli point. And, I emphasise, this is just a thought, if Marc didn't speak Italian at the time, without Gabbanelli it seems highly unlikely he would he even got hold of bellows and reeds.

With my experience of trying to get reeds and bellows out of Italy 40 years later and with the internet, it's a total pain, even when they have English on their website. Only Binci respond to emails, and I would guess that is due to all the buying that builders have done in the last 40 years.

I guess I am new to this site but I don't understand all the Marc bashing or even the Marc "debate". I have met Marc and find him to be an interesting individual and a talented musician.

Why is this such an issue? Th man makes a very good product. If you prefer a different style or accordion maker - get a different one. Why the attacks? It just seems a little spiteful

Megan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pre WW2 accordions

I just realise what I said above might be construed the wrong way. My first accordion was an Acadian, and Marc was always very pleasant when I spoke with him. I have no axe to grind whatsoever.

I was just musing, having read some of the other comments and based on my experience, whether the fact that the reeds and bellows coming from Italy required an Italian connection as intermediary initially, such as Gabbanelli.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pre WW2 accordions

Well happens is, he tries to take credit for things he should not. Puts out a lot of misinformation about himself. People don't like that. You see, he did not invent the cajun culture. Now I will have to say this much. He and his family are experts at sucking up grants.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pre WW2 accordions

Don't you think we are getting off track here? Your comments are beginning to focus on this family's personal business...aren't we here to discuss accordions and playing the accordion. Let's try to stay on track and keep it dignified.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pre WW2 accordions

This board has become a forum for mental illness.

I don't like this reply.
We are writing about accordions and playing on it.
Mark Savoy and his family are great musicians and they build very good accordions.
We need to thank them for all the things they done for Cajun Music.
I hope to see and hear them live once.
Lets go back to the case and leave the personal aspects.

Pretty neat wood grain or veneer, to get back on accordions.

Wilson and his gang the Pine Leaf Boys will be at Festivals Acadiens on October 14th, (sat.) lots of great bands this year including Balfa Toujours, and Bonsoir catin The food is out of this world, just gets better every year. No Larry Miller this year though.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!