Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
My experience

I can't really help you much with your question about Canadian made single row accordions, because I have never seen or played one.

However, I can comment on my experiences and observations of single row accordion players in from Quebec in the late 1980's. What I observed at that time was that every Canadian musician that I saw play a single row accordion, they were ALL playing Acadians. It sounds like things have changed since then, or maybe it was just a coincidence that the musicians I saw and/or jammed with happened to be the ones with Acadians.

-David

Re: My experience

Read an article a couple days ago written in 1976 (I'll post the link if I can find it again), and it mentioned Marc Savoy's customer base was local musicians and Canadian musicians. So it would make sense you saw a lot of Acadians in 1980. Don't know if that means that at the time, there were virtually no Canadian builders, or they were expensive, or both.
Here's a link that discusses the history of the accordion in Canada:
http://www.mnemo.qc.ca/html2/99(29)a.html
Only mentions a couiple somewhat modern builders. Can't seem to find any webpages by or about Canadian builders.
Interesting that the boxes tend to be smaller. Very curious about the reeds, especially any accordion Bb or lower, and how they would fit!

Re: Canadian one rows

JL Brunelle gave a great deal of info on the differences... Personally, I got to try an box made by Raynald Ouellette, from Montmagny in Quebec who is one of the well known builders. The box was a little smaller than my Bon Cajun or Acadian. I can't recall if the tuning was different. I think that on most canadian made, the stops (if they have because some don't) don't work, so you can't temper with your reeds.
I think one of the reasons as to why many Canadian players (they are mostly in Quebec)own a Louisiana made is because of the relative affordability and availability of the Cajun boxes.... I don't think you can find a decent quality Canadian-made below $2500 Cdn $ (over $2K US).
Maz

Re: Re: Canadian one rows

i`ve seen and played a Melodie a few times, it had 4 stops, and they were all working.
it was very fast

wilfred

Re: Re: Re: Canadian one rows

As mentioned before, Canadian boxes can be expensive, both my boxes brand new sold for the same price as a Martin, at the time. I bought them both used for a lower price. Don't know if they have kept up with thw Louisana box prices lately ,since they have gone up considerably in the last year. My impression was that the louisiana boxes have gone up so much due to the falling US dollar. This would mean that Canadian box prices should not have changed much.

Steve,

Andy Homan from Vermont who post on this board, owns 2 or 3 Quebec made 1 row boxes.
He is eminently qualified to shed some light on the sugject.
He's also travelled on occasion to the province of Quebec and has visited there with some of the builders .

Claude.

Steve, hope these links helps somewhat.
You can "see" some photos of Marcel Messervier ( one of the many fine melodeon players in Quebec, also a builder). playing one of his boxes, and 2 musicians playing one rows, one of them is seen sporting one of his boxes.
Also un expose of Gagne and Freres business (Music Store) in Quebec City and the family long history with accordion making in Canada( way before 1960) .
Note also the photo of one of their boxes very early efforts.

Claude.

Re: Re: Canadian one rows

Claude, your link aren't working - not for me anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Canadian one rows

Sorry, that should do it.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canadian one rows

Check the type of Music played in Quebec( link #3)as played by Mr. Raynald Ouellet using a Quebec made box "Melodie" trade mark.
Mr. Ouellet with his associate Mr. Vezina ( the actual builder, co-owns the compagny.
You can see a pic of the box at the top of the page, and lessun to some samples.
Mr.Ouellet also plays 3 rows accordion, and is a virtuoso at both.

Enjoy.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canadian one rows

ON the picture, showing Mr.R.Ouellet's box,( link#3) you'll notice that the keyboard sports 11 buttons and that the clappers are made of the same wood as the rest of the accordion, and the worksmanship is exquisite, No I wont mention one particular, crucial, in my wiew detail , ok David.
All the different Quebec boxes, that I've tried in Montmagny, Quebec, had all the stops working and were 4 reeders.
As a rule, at the time ,and I got the information from Mr. Vezina,himself is that"all" the Quebec box builders made their own bellows, and pretty much, everything else, except the reeds, witch are imported.
In the Montmagny music stores, I saw and tried 5 different builders made boxes, and they were all of different sizes, and most were made with fiddle back maple , all without exception, had the 4 stops usefull, and "all" were made with an eye for perfection .
Also some had interesting details like straps holders witch were "incorporated in the "design".
They "all" were much, much lighter in weight and looks then the LA boxes, and because they , unlike their La counterparts, are made by individuals using their own blueprints , and as such none of them, ressemble somehow the others, although they "all" are inmistakably 1 row boxes.
Are they "better" then The LA boxes?.
Theyr'e different, with a significantly faster and more agile keyboard action,and they are also somewhat lighter in weight, and also they are if you wish more elegant, perhaps not as "robust" or "squarrish" looking as their LA sisters, and I don't mean to be derogatory, in that respect, you'll have to forgive, 40 woodworking years, teaching and practicing, and I know that I have developed a more discernable eye then most, so, these comments are not to be construed as demeaning in any ways, I'll be just as true in my personnal assessments regarding Canadian woodworking products versus it's US counterparts.
I think the reason is that most LA builders get "Jobbers" to supply most of the parts for their boxes, and as such, use more of a commun "denominator", thus resulting in a more similar look in design.
So, are they better, I really don't care
, I use both, to play different types of Music.

Ok, ok, they are made for a different market,and i don't think they would "fly" for the Cajun market, for one thing, they don't have a " crawfish" on their bellows, and an LA made mark on their end plates.

Crazy Kannuukk .

Where do you live Claude?

Very interesting comments. Where do yo live Claude? Aren't you in NB (I'm in Halifax)? If I ever drive by, I'd love to drop in to see your boxes if you don't mind. I will certainly stop at that shop in Montmagny next time I drive to Mtl.
Maz

Re: Where do you live Claude?

So, now you know guys. They tune different but play different music. They make wonderful little boxes which have very fast action which in turn is demanded because of the music they play. I would say it is more Irish sounding. Now as had been mentioned in earlier postings days ago. They have pretty well shut out Mark and other Louisiana builders.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!