Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cross-cultural "session"

This is sort of on the Quebec box subject, but things were getting a little deep further down the page...

I had heard that there was a weekly jam in Oneonta, New York, that encompassed Irish, Cajun and Quebec music. On faith last night, (no way to check and see if it was really on this week)), and with little regard for my day job, I drove the 1.5 hours to the wine bar in question (that's right folks: Cajun music in a wine bar).

They were playing Irish when I walked in, but as soon as the accordion cases were spied, Bosco Stomp and J'ete au Bal were the thing. That is until Peter Blue showed up with a Quebec-tuned Acadian in D and started in on the French Canadian stuff.

I appreciated the fact that my Bon Cajun, with its clunky metal-reinforced corners, was well-protected sitting on the bar room floor; and I was happy that my Saltarelle C#/D (originally imported through Gagne et Freres) was haltingly employed in playing music from its original purchaser's homeland.

I'm sure we would have displeased purists of all musical persuasions, but we had beaucoups fun! And if Quebec accordions and music weren't a bit different than Cajun accordions and music, why wouldn't we all stay home watching TV? Vive la difference!

Obviously, I can't spell en Francais.
Stevie "blue" Blais

Re: Cross-cultural "session"

Hello Steve,
I'd like to know the name of that bar. I have a weekend place in Delaware County (about a half-hour drive from Oneonta). What night of the week? Have no fear, I'll leave my accordion at home, where it can do no harm.
Thanks,
Claude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!