Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MUSSI Accordion

For those in Italy or those "in the know" I recently received as a gift a piano accordion by "Mussi". It is a 41 key, 120 bass accordion...with a L M H reed configuration. The whole accordion tapers down to a smaller left hand side---even the bellows are tapered from larger to smaller. It is the most responsive and loud Piano Accordion I have ever played. I don't know when it was made...I am guessing the 50s or 60s. It is in excellent shape and still in great tune. I just wondered if anyone has heard of this brand.

Re: MUSSI Accordion

I've seen them around, never played one. A fifties Italian accordion of most any brand is amongst IMHO the finest in terms of materials and workmanship ever. Few corners were cut.. That was not a major brand..but could have been subbed out by one of the larger builders and probably will compare with a Soprani, Serenelli,etc etc..

Nice going. GLenn

Re: Re: MUSSI Accordion

Hey Glenn, thanks for the info. This accordion is beautiful inside...the reed blocks are all tapered from thicker for the reeds to thinner for the higher reeds...in addition every reed block is cut on an angle so that they are largest where they attach to the face and smallest at the end that "ends" in the accordion. All blocks appear to have been sealed or varnished. The high reeds in the bass end have been mounted on the thinest reed block I have ever seen...and there are only reeds on one side of that super thin block. It is really something to see.

And then as you look at the outside of the accordion--Have you ever seen an accordion that is smaller on the bass (lefthand) side and tapers at an increasing angle to the keyboard side? Even the bellows are made at an angle! They are not square! Have you ever seen anything like that? Just wondered how many accordions were made like this. Perhaps if you know another manufacturer who made some like this, I could trace down the accordion's origins.

Re: Re: Re: MUSSI Accordion

Hi Chris.. can you send pics and I will do some research for you here in Italy.

I would attribute much of this "character" and quality to the era .. the 50's Italian boxes look, play and sound like no others in my opinion.. ( the old button Soprani's go for $1,500 - $2,000 .. and ANY Italian 50's.. and I daresay 60's box.. in good to mint condition will satisfy.. )..

Workmanship and materials have since been lost.. IMHO.

This of course has nothing to do with LA boxes which the Italians ( despite the materials ) can't touch.. ( I have shown some builders and they are impressed..but don't understand the tuning at all ).

G.

Re: MUSSI Accordion

Le fisarmoniche “MUSSI” erano costruite a Castelfidardo (An) Italy
Dalla ditta Alberto Morbidoni. Chiusa nell' anno 2000.

La ditta Alberto Morbidoni costruiva

“MUSSI” vendute da Mussi USA

“MORBIDONI“ vendute a Chicago USA da Morbidoni Aldo e Alfredo

“DIAMOND” vendute a Yakima Washington USA da Sam Ferry

“DEGA” vendute a Minneapolis Minnesota USA da Accordion Importers Inc.

Morbidoni Franco Italy
francomorbidoni@alice.it

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!