Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Savoy Family Band in NYC

I didn't make it to this show, because I was home being lame (which is my specialty). However, I did receive the official email a few days before the event, advertising "THE SAVOY FAMILY CAJUN BAND: featuring Marc & Ann Savoy, with talented sons Joel & Wilson."

Re: Re: Re: Savoy Family Band in NYC

When Savoy Family Band was on the August 2006 schedule for the Earlville Opera House, Wilson was going to be in the lineup. That gig fell through due to high transportation costs and the lack of linking shows. Still doesn't answer the question re: was Wilson there last night, but does answer the question re: does he ever gig with the Family Band. Answer: yes.

Ultimately, Ray Abshire flew up to cover the date we had set up for the Savoy Family Band, and it was a great show.
S'b'B

Re: Re: Re: Re: Savoy Family Band in NYC

The lineup was Joel, Marc, Ann, and Wilson, plus a drummer named Steve. I didn’t catch his last name but it wasn’t Riley (as it had been at Ninigret). Wilson played piano all night except for a couple of fiddle duets with Joel.
I was wondering if any of you Braves were there and I was wishing I had asked before—but you weren’t so I couldn’t have met you anyway.
Wow, what a night. Best time I’ve had in a long time. It was a nice intimate venue and the dance floor stayed packed. The Savoy’s did a beautiful, often brilliant, four-hour show that surpassed all my expectations. Some of the highlights for me included when Joel and Wilson stood facing each other playing a couple of old-time fiddle duets including “Adieu Rosa.” And late in the show I was surprised when Ann sang a haunting, mournful, and very slow version of “Chanson de Mardi Gras.” The combination of her singing and the accompaniment by Joel, Marc (very spare on this song, minimum notes, maximum effect), and Wilson (especially elegant and emotional on this song!) really sent chills up my spine. This was followed by a very upbeat version of “Mardis Gras Jig.” And Wilson did a wild and rocking version of Jerry Lee Lewis’s “Crazy Arms” (the show’s only song en Anglais).
They were great and I especially appreciated the way they seem to take turns being the front person and the backup group, if you know what I mean. And I love when Marc exhorts the others with shouts of “do it, do it, that’s the stuff, burn it up, etc. etc.” Honestly, I like the way he sits there smiling like he’s in the middle of something wondrous and surprising, because he is.
I had the pleasure of speaking briefly with Wilson and I asked about his instructional DVD—he said he hoped to start mailing them this week—I’m looking forward to it.
It seems it’s been a real problem finding/sustaining a good venue for Cajun and Zydeco in the city, but I think Connolly’s just might work out in the long run. I hope so. The only negative thing for me was that when Joel and Wilson started playing a duet the chatter from the crowd almost drowned them out—I don’t think the dancers knew what to make of it at first (probably being more accustomed to say, Keith Frank), but they figured it out. But hey, if that was the worst thing….

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Savoy Family Band in NYC

Man,

I'm so sorry I missed that show. My band was on tour in Tennessee at the time (we were spreading the Cajun gospel in the mountains...Johnson City).

You're right about Marc playing seated. I think it's really cool that he doesn't do jumps, theatrics, or crazy gestures, but rather lets the music speak for itself.

Yeah, too bad about the talking during the duet. It's really an odd crowd -- they're zydeco-centric and many are known to complain when the band is Cajun instead of zydeco.

Best,

Nick B

Chris Miller and Bayou Roots in NYC

Hello to all connected in NYC--

My band and I will be in NYC Oct. 3-5 and are looking for things to do, friends to meet or make, jams, places to play, etc. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Our only gig is at noon on Oct 4 so the evenings of the 3rd and 4th or open. Please feel free to email as that might be more appropriate. Thanks!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!