Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steve Riley Video

I got that DVD last April at Balfa Camp, and have been truly enjoying it. It is not for beginners, but rather for intermediate/advanced players. It includes songs like Jolie Blonde, Waxia Special, Blues du Soulard, and a couple more that I can't recall on top of my mind.
The quality of production (sound, angles, etc.) is very good too.
I recommend Steve's DVD without hesitation. For beginners, I definitely recommend the two videos/dvd from Dirk Powell. These are excellent to acquire a solid base and basic Cajun techniques. After all of this, if you want to spend more money on videos, get the Marc Savoy (Gospel according to Marc), and the other most recent one (which includes 40 minutes on tuning). Marc's DVDs are not very good on the "teaching" side, but excellent as a piece of reference to listen to a lot of nice songs played by the master.
Maz

Re: Re: Steve Riley Video

Steve's is paced for the intermediate and above player..not for beginners. Nicely done, not heavy on the teaching, but loaded with talent and a nice light hearted twist, like all of Wilson's vids.

I ordered and paid for his last DVD..but it never arrived ( or hasn't arrived ).. no word from him on this, though I do get mailing list notices about gigs.
This was over a month ago.. hope someone hears something soon.. I like his work.

G:

What about Larry Millers book and tape? I never hear much about that one.

Larry Miller's book and CD teaches you how to play a few cajun songs by Number

Its somewhat hard to learn from a book. Its nice to have a complement of a book to a dvd, but no one has done that.

Dwight

Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley Video

Isnt that what Larry Miller has?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley Video

He might have a cd. Last time I knew, it was the book and a tape. At this point he could have a dvd, I don't know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley Video

I saw it on his site tonight and was debating on whether to get it, choice of either cd or tape. I wonder if he will keep that site up, he told me they will close up selling parts after his grandson takes over the business.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley Video

larry has a book and cd.....yea i wish someone would do a dvd/numbers book

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley Video

I would highly recommend Larry's book and CD. It's what got me started. The CD is well worth the price for the collection of old tunes, mostly Allie Young.

Hal

You can get Larry Millers booklet and Cd at www.floydsrecordshop.com as well as a lot of other great books and video's

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!