Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accordion building course in the UK

I am sure it would be a great learning experience building your own, but it still will not be a cajun accordion.

Re: Re: Accordion building course in the UK

i think it will be a copy of a Monarch accordion.

i`m not very good at this but
if i`m not mistaken cajun accordions are also copy`s of a Monarch/sterling accordion.
the only difference is the place it is made.

does that define if it`s a cajun accordion or not?

wilfred

Re: Re: Re: Accordion building course in the UK

I don't really want to get involved in yet another dispute over what constitutes a Cajun accordion.

Just a couple of points the Sterlings and Monarchs that were the foundation of Cajun accordions and played by Amede Ardoin and Aldus Roger, to name but 2, were built in Germany. So were these Cajun accordions?

The reeds and bellows used in all modern Cajun accordions are made in Italy.

All discussions with builders suggest the sound is a product of a combination of reeds and reedblocks together with tuning.

The rest of an accordion is pretty much a machine.

The idea that no one outside Louisiana can make an accordion is fatuous and plain wrong, particularly as the crucial parts come from Italy. It's like saying a guitar can only be made in Nashville.

I have no problem with saying that the 'Cajun' brand belongs to Louisiana, but where does that leave Jude?

But to say that there is something magical in the air that prevents anyone beyond the borders of Louisiana building a 10 button 4 reed box is just plain foolish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion building course in the UK

Hey, whatever accordion you end up with it will be all yours and you can call it what the hell you want. Good luck with it and I hope you let me know how it turns out.

While it's true you could buy an La box for the price of this course, seems to me what you are really getting, is hands on knowledge. That in itself could be priceless. And there is something uniquely special about building something yourself. If anyone on the list takes the course, be sure to report back. Inerested in how it's going to be set up, i.e. how much is done from scratch or from precut pieces, etc. Finishing alone can easily go beyond six days, so my curiousity is definitely piqued.
As far as it being a Cajun accordion, for me, it's who's playing it and what coming out of the box. As communication grows and the world shrinks, that electric fence around all the regions of the world start to disappear, including Lousianna. Just an opinion.
Steve

Hey, Aaron,

Your point seems to be, that, a "Cajun" accordion , in order to be called "Authentic "Cajun, has to be fabricated in Louisiana, and built by preferably direct descendants of Louisiana Cajuns ? or at least long time Louisiana residents, like born in that state, am I correct ?.

And that further in your thinking, that the only " Cajun" accordion in the "All World " is ideally an "Acadian" trade mark, fabricated for Mark Savoy , and bearing his signature, and who happens to be , as we all know ,a true descendant of Cajun ancestry ?.

Also, should the "Cajun" accordion in your view,be played by , and only by, true " Cajuns"?.

And my last question(s), would be: Are you a direct descendant of Cajun parents?, and is Cajun music the only Folk or non Folk Music, like Rock, Alternative, Gospel,whatever else that you play?......

My understanding is that you are a really good young talent,and that you play really good Cajun Music, but my last question would be , if you don't mind, that is : Do you live in the good old state of Louisiana ?.

Thank you Aaron .

Claude.

Bien dit Claude.

When I get mine built, I wonder what it will be. I was born to French speaking parents right outside Mamou, and now live in Texas. I guess, to me, I could really give a crap less what some troll wants to term anything. It will be "mine", built at least mostly with my own hands, built to play cajun music, and whatever else I decide to play.

Every forum ends up with one troll who likes to keep everyone ticked. Knowing that, they are easily ignored. I personally enjoy seeing cajun culture spread so far by so many.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion building course in the UK

Bryan, be careful where you plan to build your accordion ! You'd better let your parents know already that you're going to spend all your week-ends at their house soon

Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion building course in the UK

Hey, I didnt think of that, then I could call it "Louisiana made" and it would be better!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion building course in the UK

Exactly ! Unless you stay in Texas and then you will only build a melodeon (which is the word used in the title of the course by the way).

Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion building course in the UK

That was the word Larry Miller called his accordions also. I had never heard that term.

What my first one will end up may be none of the above, it may not even be recognizable, but I'll just keep trying until I get something playable. I got a very large stack of maple, right now anyway.

Re: Accordion building course in the UK

peace people, I said it would be a great learning experience, and no it will not be a cajun accordion. it might be a cajun-style, but not a cajun accordion. That is my opinion being born and raised in cajun country. I was cajun when cajun was a dirty word around here. now everyone wants to slap the cajun name tag on anything and everything. I will continue to defend my culture as need be. good luck with your projects.

isnt that what cajun's did??? slapped a cajun tag on a german accordion?....give it a rest dude..if La. was totally dependent on tourism and we had you as the state tourism president..we'd all still be plowing fields...

With this type of thinking you could reprint Shakespeare in Mamou, having imported the leather from Italy for the binding, and rename Macbeth, MacSavoy, Thane of Eunice.

Then you could claim Shakespeare as a Cajun playwrite.

It's the music that's Cajun not the accordion. And that's the heritage you should be proud of.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!