Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yep, it's a problem.

The neighbors got used to it and really don't hear much unless I play outside on the porch. (MY lot is 40 Feet wide so the houses are close.) They don't even mention the jams that take place here. And you may hear that you have improved in the last year.
Keep squeezin'.
Leslie

Re: Re: Yep, it's a problem.

My neighbor told me the other day she could hear me practicing...and she called it "Music!" Sweet, huh?

neighbors

When I first started playing I lived in a Condo with many people in the building. I was also living with a my girlfriend (of the time, we broke up, not because of the accordion though heheh).

My girlfriend made me play in the bathroom, which in reality amplified the hell out of my Acadian.

The neighbor upstairs would complain from time to time, but I kept on playing anyway.

As far as muting an accordion... just play quieter with the bellows. But this may stunt the learning process. This is a tough call.

What kind of weather do you have in your area? My suggestion is when it's good weather find a park to practice in. I did that. I even practiced in graveyards at night (sounds cryptic, but was a good place to practice!).

I'd say never play your accordion in weather below 70 degrees. It has put my reeds out of tune in the past and could potentially break them.

Anyway, good luck to you

Jim

tip

You can play quite soft with an accordion. It is also good for your bellow's control.
Remember that the player hears less than the audience. Go and sit in front of the (closed) window, so you will get the sound back.

Be glad that you don't play bagpipes. Them cannot be played soft. I know, I play a French one and though they are much softer than the Schottish ones, my neighbour 500 meters away can hear it. (when played outside, of course)

Gus

Re: Muting the accordion.

Once I wrote this in an e-mail

I try to play the accordion every day and my wife and children don't like it every day.
But I'm still married and the children didn't leave there parents.
But the people next door love it.
Even in the beginning when I'm only playing simple scales and errors.
It's a problem every accordionplayer has to live with.
I'm also playing a little banjo, but that was allways allright.
And don't mute it!!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!