Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

We couldn't make it this year but we're planning for next year. Meanwhile I sure would love to read your experiences of this year's festivities. How was it? Thanks.

Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

Claude, check out www.theadvertiser.com. There should be info on this years FESTIVALS ACADIENS. I live 18 miles north of Lafayette in Opelousas and didn't make the festival this year. It goes without saying though that the food and cajun music as usual were great I am sure. It was much cooler being in October this year.

Re: Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

It was great as usual, there seemed to be more people this year, especially at the folkroots jams. The weather for the most part held back and we recieved minimal rain on sunday. The Mamou Playboys and Beausoleil played through the rain and were just awesome. It was much better in October too

I didn't make it Saturday but went Sunday. This is my experience, Jimmy Breaux and Friends - a kick butt accordion player carrying on the Breaux family music tradition. Michael and David Doucet showed up and played a couple of songs with him. The whole set was recorded for a possible "Jimmy Breaux Live at Festivals Acadiens" release. Can't wait for that one. Kevin Naquin pumping on the Main Stage, great sound, followed by Dexter Ardoin performing zydeco with a guest apperance from Michael Doucet. THEN Lafayette Rythem Devils - WHAT A HOT GROUP, high energy and hitting on all cylinders. One of my festival favorites!!! And top it all off with superb sets from Steve Riley and Beausoleil. What rain?

Wonderful, as always. Some of the many highlights included Jason Frey; Jesse Lege; Pine Leaf Boys; Dexter Ardoin with Al Berard and Michael Doucet; a semi-reunion of Coteau during Beausoleil's set; and on and on and on...

Now, after a completely miserable travel day yesterday, we're trying to get our sleep patterns back to normal and pick up the pieces of our work life. I can't wait to go again!!

All;

Kris and I did not make the Friday night "Downtown Alive!"--however here is my take on the Saturday and Sunday events...

Saturday: The highlight of the day was the interview conducted by Barry Ancelet with Jesse Lege, Robert Jardell, Reg Matte, Paul Daigle and Morris Ardoin. Just a lot of remembering and playing... with gentle prodding and nudging from Barry.

The next high point was the jam session hosted by Ray Abshire that had to include over a dozen fiddle players, a guitarist, wash tub bass and a few other accordions. Old time music being played right and led by a master. J'alma Garnier followed Ray for an additional hour of really tight playing and smiling.

It was great to see and hear Ward Lormand of File teaming up again with old band mates and really moving the main stage.

The Sunday kick-off with Jimmy Breaux and buddies set the Heritage stage for a fantastic day-- Balfa Toujour and others...

The main stage on Sunday with Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys followed by Beausoleil capped a great weekend. The Beausoliel set that included Gary Newman on bass and vocal singing 'La belle de la louisiane'had people near me waltzing and tearing-up at the eyes. ( it was beautiful)

It was good to see Jr. Martin and Larry Miller. Also great to speak with Matthew Doucet and hear one of his 'fait a la main' violons. Also a real treat to watch Matthew and Michael team up on first and second fiddles for tune that had the crowd ignoring the steady rain and keep dancing.

The food was first rate-- my favorite goes to the boudin links at Breaux Bridge Specialty meats. The craft show really drew a crowd as well.

Saturday seemed better attended, however it was a great crowd both days, intent upon enjoying themselves and sharing the fun with everyone around them.

My Summary
It was good. The torch is bright and is being passed and received with care.

Peace,
Griff

Re: Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

Griff,

I was at that tent on Saturday and did not see you. DARN!

Stayed till about 20 minutes into Wayne Toups set. Did not go on Sunday.

Had crawfish stew from T-Coons. Talk about GREAT!

Beautiful mild weather.

Kirk Menier

Re: Re: Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

Kirk:

That would have been great to connect at Festivals! As I recall, we were standing just outside the tent, near the fellow with the camera and tripod that taping the event.

Peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

Griff,

He was video taping just to the left of me by my side.

Kirk Menier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

Hey Kirk:

It was good to see you.

I made it to a bit of festival early on Saturday. Saw
a bit of Paul Daigle. Saw some of Ray Abshire (nice to see courtney granger and mitch reed play together - they have such different styles and yet it still works)

Caught some of the accordion workshop with Horace, Dexter and Christy (They did a good job and Horace was
really funny as usual).

Caught some of the Trio Kreyol - (actually five people) - Nolton Simien playing old creole style accordion, Jeffery Broussard and Cedric playing fiddle and Djalma Garnier on Guitar plus a triangle player.

Then had to dash off to Baton Rouge for a wedding..so
didn't get a chance to go to jam.

Made it back over on Sunday just in time for the rain.
Caught a bit of Dexter, some of Keith Frank (nice to
see Joel Savoy play some fiddle with him).

I was able to jam a bit at the jam tent on Sunday...
played a little fiddle at jesse lege jam. Played one
song on accordion and played some guitar and fiddle
with Dexter Ardoin.

Caught a little of Balfa Toujours before I left totally exhausted.

All and all a fun time. Although the location of the
Heritage tent two years ago was better and it was
covered. Mark

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

Kirk:

We were close enough to shake hands! I kept getting 'pushed' to the right. The recording was also to my left. I ended up standing at the far right corner--Kris was seated on the picnic table to the left of tent.

Peace brother,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: festivals Acadiens....reviews, comments, how was it???

Griff,

Sorry that I missed you. I know that I would have recognized you had I seen you.

Kirk

It was my first one, so can't compare, but it was great! I got
to jam a bit, listen to some great bands, and eat too
much!! A neat moment came during the Ray Abshire hosted
jam when a little girl (8 yrs old... I think her name was Grace) sitting
next to me played a valse on her Bon Cajun - she's gonna
be a star someday!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!