Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Old recordings (1928-1954)

Have you received it yet? Let me know how it is when you do. There are definately a few on there I never heard of.

Re: Re: Old recordings (1928-1954)

I have it already (found it at my usual record store). I still need to listen to some tracks more carefully, but on the whole I am very satisfied with this « Cajun Capers ». Lots of things to discover, like those Cajun songs in English mentioned by Neal (someone here was looking for some a few weeks ago) ; Link Davis, for example, has some good ones (I had never heard of him before) ; several older versions of well-known tunes (Mamou two-step by Lawrence Walker….), French versions of Country hits, local musicians who only recorded two or three songs…
And a 50 pages booklet gives all necessary information about the artists, recording circunstances, and a complete and accurate discography. Du beau travail !

Christian

PS there’s even a Lewis Lafleur recorded on fiddle in 1929 in New Orleans – with Delin T. Guillory on accordion. One of your relatives maybe).

PS 2 I have put the link to the record company's website.

Re: Re: Re: Old recordings (1928-1954)

I forgot about this box! I was thinking about the JSP one...

Re: Re: Re: Old recordings (1928-1954)

We had a little discussion about Lewis on Dad's site a couple of weeks ago. Cyp and Adam Landreneau make a reference to him in their recording of "La Robe A Rosalie". I had never heard of him. Probably a distant relative, given where he is from, dad is supposed to be checking.

I am intrigued by this set, as I always am when old not so common recordings pop up, guess I'll just have to get it. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Old recordings (1928-1954)

Oh, that’s right ! I had not realized that LOUIE and LEWIS were in fact the same name.
Here is the passage about him in the liner notes :

« For every Denus McGee, there were a dozen artists that the record companies took in the studios during 1929/30, recorded a session and returned to their Cajun roots rarely to be heard of again in the outside world. From Lafayette there was Bixy Guidry and Percy Babineaux who played accordion and fiddle respectively and recorded « J’Vais Jouer Celea Pour Toi » along with seven other numbers on 6th November 1929 and never set foot in a recording studio again. The following day it was the turn of accordion player Delin T. Guilllory and fiddler Lewis Lafleur, who both came from Ville Platte to commit their four offerings for posterity. « Quelqu’un Est Jaloux » was coupled with « Ma Petite Blonde » on Victor and the remaining two tracks were released on Bluebird. »

Yes, you NEED these CD’s !

Christian

Re: Old recordings (1928-1954)

Thanks! I forgot about this one. Disc 4 is of special interest to me. Dips into the country music influence. Would love to hear that early recording of Marion Marcotte, La Noce a Rosilia!

And number 9. Al Terry H-A-D-A-C-O-L? How can I pass that up?

11. is of interest, Korea Blues. Reminds me that Harry Choates has one, Korea Here I Come.

Papa Cairo Big Texas Number 2.

This is one to get.

That's Not ALL!

The compilation is on JSP records, out of London.
Also look for "Cajun Country 2", another 4-CD box which is a companion to this one. C'est bon!

However, most all tracks, with a few exceptions, were lifted directly from commercial discs (eg. Sony's "Cajun Dance Party" and Arhoolie's Amede Ardoin disc, the Dennis McGee and Leo Soileau discs on Yazoo, etc.)

I'd hoped to finally get a clean copy of "Amede Two Step" without that tinny NR artifact present, but its the exact same recording as on the Amede CD. Same with Austin Ardoin Two Step. I was hoping to find an untruncated dub, but it has the same one... This isn't necessarily an issue, mind you, considering what all you get at that price!

I've seen a particular site that has both of these boxes, at $14 each. 8 CDs for $28? Not bad! I'd say GO FOR IT!

JSP Records

I should also state that, in any case, they have some exhaustive (but, as always, very nice on the budget) comps of old-timey music if that's your thing. The complete recordings of Charlie Patton, near complete (may be complete, I didn't check) recordings of Uncle Dave Macon, and various others.
They even have a Paramount Records box set, which I believe contains some previously uncomped cajun stuff as well.

www.jsprecords.com

Their website isn't totally functional, and instead of text its all image oriented, and you'll have to do a lot of left-to-right scrolling to read the releases pages.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!