Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
house dances

does anyone ever have any house dances anymore or is that just a thing of the past? I would rather play a house dance rather than a dancehall. That would be so awesome to have to the accordian fiddle and guitar up on the kitchen table like it was told to me by my grandmother. Just wondering if anyone else has any stories of cajun house dances back in the day.

Re: house dances

Aaron:

For the past two years at our annual crawfish boil, we have had a great local cajun band (Maison Bleue) play for the 75-100 folks that come out for the party. They set-up in the garage and play for about three hours.

This is not quite the 'bal de maison' you mentioned, but it sure is nicer than any of the dance halls in this area, and the food is real improvement over local grub as well.

Peace,
Griff

Re: house dances

Hey Aaron, you're hard to get a hold of...So when are we going to play again??????? gimme a call sometime

Re: Re: house dances

we play as a fiddle and guitar duo and have had some great house dances! recently, we played a birthday party. the people moved all the furniture outside and we had them dancing like crazed weasels for hours and hours. we had been contracted to play 3 hours, i think we ended up playing 5 hours. granted, the accordion is a great rhythm instrument, but i am always amazed what we can put out with guitar and fiddle. definitely the best gigs and we are trying to drum up some business that way. the perfect cure for cabin fever!!!
roger

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!