Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Hohner HA-114 question

Of course they are "shop adjusted"...in a nice little shop in China...

Sorry, I just can't imagine Marc adjusting an Arriette.

The website is misleading in this regard--but call the store--they'll tell you the truth.

Warm regards,
Claude

Re: Hohner HA-114 question

Cody:

You might be able to get into a real Louisiana hand made box for less than you think.

A number of the lesser known builders have very affordable boxes that are made very well and are very enjoyable to play. One that gets good reviews here and elsewhere is the le Capitane by Danny Dyson in Lake Charles. There is list around somewhere that details the contact info for various builders.

The second method to obtain a less expensive hand made box is to check out the pawn shops in and around Acadiana. During Festivals I saw three nice boxes in two shops in Lafayette.

Peace,
Griff

My Le Capitaine plays and sounds great! There are those on this site that think mitered corners sound better, but for the $800 I paid for "butt joints" I got a great box at a great price. Danny has upped the price, but it is still a good deal. He also repairs, tunes , and is a fine fellow to do business with.
Mine is made of cypress, the wood Marc dislikes.

Craig
luthier from Md.

Craig,

I do not know where you got your information, butI cannot recall "EVER" reading , nor on this Forum, or elsewhere, that "mittered " corners will make a box sound better.

I am not accusing you of fabricating the story, but I would really like to know where you got the info!.

It intrigues me.

As a "Luthier, I'm surprised that you never asked Danny to sell you a box with mittered corners, I mean I would think, that your sense of traditions and expertise in the making of musical instruments would dictate to ask Danny for the very best , and mittered corners should be part of the "deal".

As a "Luthier" you should expect the best, and so should Danny.

BTW, Mittered corners in any box wooden contruction, shows craftsmanship and knowledge, and I cetainly would expect you to know that.

as a Luthier you obviously went to a specialized school for several years, then you apprenticed for another few years then you went on your own and open your own practice, so I assume, that in light of your background you "demanded" Danny to provide you with mittered corners.

A craftsman dealing with the like.

What was his reason(s) for not doing them.

If I was asking Danny, to fabricate a box for me , I certainly would ask him for M.C or else I'll go to another supplier.

There shouldn't be any extra cost, they should be part of the equation, as they look infinitly better.

Krazy Kannuck.

I love the HA-114, but it's hard to start out on

Plus, if you want to use an arm strap, there are no D ring attachments on most, definately not the new ones.

Also the thumb strap has ALWAYs been crappy on every one that I've played ranging from the 60's - present. Makes it very hard to hold the thing.

Another problem, it's almost impossible to replace the thumb strap on most 114s cause the fingerboard is made of some kind of hard plastic, not wood.

Marc did have a really good deal on them, so I got one in C for 300 some dollars a year ago.

I got one in G that sounds fantastic but it was old and the thumb strap broke. I actually drilled holes in the frame behind the fingerboard to rig another thumb strap, because I'm no good with real tools to rig a thumb strap to a plastic keyboard!

Another thing, as much as the spoons on the bass side cosmetically are "vintage-accurate" they require you to hover your middle and ring finger above the handles in order to play. Doesn't bother me, but I would rather graduate from buttons to spoons any day

5 Reasons to buy a handmade

1. Better reeds
2. Better wood
3. Better Bellows
4. Better Tuning
5. They will be worth TONS of money one day. Suppose you want to sell, 10-15 years after the builder stops making them... It's an investment.

I will never sell mine, in fact I will request to be buried with mine. I know for a fact that if I ever have kids, they won't care about this music. It's sad. In fact I may never have a wife or kids, but I play accordions, diatonic and chromatic. I play guitar and banjo and bass and skiffle. As far as I'm concerned, music is my vice. No children, no wife. Christ I'm only 27~

Why are mitered corners the "best"? Dovetailed joints for guitar necks are traditional, but not always the best. No, I went to school and studied engineering. There were very few schools for lutherie in the 60's-70's, and the craft was learned through association and a lot of reading and trips to the Smithsonian. Like Mr. Dyson, I have a full time job as lutherie doesn't pay enough to survive. It will accompany my retirement nicely though. Lighten up and try your hand at something artistic. Life is short. Play nice in the sandbox and be inclusive.

Pleasantries aside, I for one would love to see some pics of some of the violins or fretted instruments that "bears" your signature.
I think that I recall one of of your early posts mentionning you "making" violins, or was it guitars, I can't quite recall, sorry.
I don't think that this forum has Luthiers as members,but quite a few play, either violins or guitars or fretted instruments and it would be of some interest to them and mine, to know exactly what you do.

Are you involved with repairs only : Guitars, or Violins, or both?, or do you builds professionaly fretted instruments and under witch brand may I ask?,
Would you kindly elaborate and if possible send this forum some pictures of your "wares".

I'm also surprised that as a professional crafstman "Luthier" that is, you can't make a living out of it, unless of course the state of Maryland has a proliferation of your particular trade.

But , correct me if I'm wrong,I thought that good craftsman,woman in every fields are very, very difficult to find and as such are very prized.

Your trade is an old one, your'e very priviledged.

Many thanks.

Kindly.

K.K

Re: Re: Re: Hohner HA-114 question

A few years ago, got to take a violin repair course under Geoff Sietz, highly respected luthioer out of St. Louis, and fiddle for the Volo Bogg Trotters. He had the best line that I bet a lot of luthers live by - I build because I love it, I repair because I need to eat. You can paraphrase that with many things, musicians, for example. Rare is the guy that can perform every weekend and still not need a day job. I know there are a few luthiers, builders. etc. that check out this forum. I hope we can respect what we do, and more importantly, need to do to survive.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hohner HA-114 question

Steve,

My humble apologies, I didn't forget you, I simply omited you .

Actually, I was looking , recently at your site, quite impressive.

Claude.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!