Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: old films & videos on acadian and cajun music

For Cheticamp music check out : http://cheticampns.com/CultureF.html
or http://www.cheticampns.com/CultureE.html
There is a lot of Scottish music there too I believe , Joe Cormier style.

Speaking of old Chéticamp & Acadian songs...

Just a couple of years ago, Père(Father)Ansèlme Chiasson passed away at the age of past 90 years old.
Over the past 40 years as a priest all over Atlantic Canada, he had collected and recorded a mountain of Acadian songs and stories. About 5 years ago before he died, his legacy was professionally recorded and archived at a studio in Chéticamp (Cape Breton), Nova Scotia. Père Anselme Chiasson personnally sang every song that was recorded. It took several months to produce. I'm not sure where this heritage treasure can be found, but it is available, and certainly represents a significant body of reference material for the next generation of artists who would like to explore for traditional Acadian musical material. Personally, I saw and met Père Chiasson at an outdoor mass he facilitated in beautiful Grand Pré about 10 years ago on August 15 (National Acadian day here in Atlantic Canada. He was a great man dedicated to his people and heritage.
Maz

Re: old films & videos on acadian and cajun music

Speaking of Dennis Stroughmatt, I just received a copy of Les Tracas de Morris, featuring Morris Ardoin on accordion and Dennis on fiddle. They're accompanied by a guitar and sometimes a triangle. It's a fine recording of Creole music, and it'll be a treat to hear Dennis and band at Earlville.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!