Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Dutch Players

On the second link you will find some pictures of
old Dutch accordionplayers. The age of the photos is about 60-70 years. The text is only in Dutch.
Unfortenately they don't play Cajun-music,
but Dutch(Frysian) folksongs.
There's some pictures of a guy named "Peije"(1879-1941), standing on his wooden skates on the ice,with his ten button box.

Re: Old Dutch Players

Flippin' COOL! Thanks for the info and link! Love those photos...

R!CK

Re: Old Dutch Players

Fascinating, Ron. Is any of the old music available to listen to?

Do you know Aad Sempel ( fidler )? I asked Aad what sort of stuff the old timers in NL played, but he was pretty dismissive of it. Reason I asked is this - there's a guy taking over one of our local pubs, after twenty- odd years in S Africa. ( English ex-pat)
We got talking music when he was over here on a visit, and I asked him what kind of stuff the Boers play.I'd got some idea I'd heard anglo concertinas mentioned. He said he'd bring me a CD, and, sure enough , he did. His daughter said she curled up with embarrassment when he went in the store to buy it, and his son spoke scornfully of 'Dutchmen's Music'. His wife said she quite liked it.

I've lent it out, and can't remember the details, but it's by Die Klipwerf Boerorkes. The line up seemed to be predominant electric guitar, 120 bass piano accordion ( alternating on some tracks with electric keyboard ), drums, and either electric bass or rhythm guitar ( I think ). All instrumental tracks, some alegedly traditional, some in similar vein.
It was awful! They sounded lifeless - as if playing from written music. The drummer sounded like a drum machine. The overall sound put me in mind of the Smurfs - and you didn't want to be reminded of them!
But I couldn't help thinking that, underneath this awful treatment, were some good old traditional tunes - if only they were played simply, on probably fiddle and button box.

Did we just drop on tasteless band? Do you know of any good Boer music?

BJ

Re: Re: Old Dutch Players

I know Aad and play with him sometimes.
The music you described, we mentione "hoempapa",
and that's no "chanky chank".
On the second link you will find some movies from Dutch players now.

Re: Re: Re: Old Dutch Players

Wow, Ron! Thanks for some great music there.
How can I get all that stuff onto a DVD? I'm not too clever with computers ( to say the least ).

Where did it all go wrong for the Afrikaners?

I think I'm in love with Jet Zoon.

BJ

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!