Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Nice one from John Roger

Guys I know this box well. I was taking lessons from John when it was made. There is nothing much inside the box that had to be removed. The midi system was just small spring looking contacts on the valve arms just above the buttons inside the keyboard. They in turn touched onto a rod connected to the connectors at the bottom of the keyboard when a button was pushed down. There was a small switch which operated on vacume or pressure depending on if you playing a push or pull note. So I really don't think anything should have been done to the reeds or blocks because nothing was attached to them. But, one can always ask the seller.

Does anybody know who bought this box?

I saw that some bidder had done a shipping cost estimate for zip code "13035", which is where I work: Cazenovia, New York. Just wondering if there is a new squeezer in the neighborhood...
S'b'B

Re: Does anybody know who bought this box?

Steve,

The last I looked at the auction, Glenn.A, a contributor to this forum had the winning bid.

I have been thinking of something since my last posting, something that I have pondered over everytime , that I have seen John.R accordions, or they are spoken of, and that's not to denigrate them at all.

I know that youv'e noticed the deep carved " flowers" and the carved trade mark on the end plates ( I do think they are carved, and quite deep at that) and if they are , John has had to increase the thickness of the end plates, and I have been wandering over the years if the increase (if that's the case)has not resulted in a " loss of sound" or forgive my lack of suitable lexicon, in perhaps the sound emited "outside" the box beeing somewhat "muffled".
Perhaps not discernable to a person like me but more so to a musician.

But I'm a fine woodworker and to me, if I was building a box, used to transmit a sound, I think I would "try" to limit increasing "any of the box "walls.

Do I make sense?.

Anyway I love the box.

Re: Re: Does anybody know who bought this box?

I did buy it now..for a friend and professional player in the U.S.

He had a couple boxes needing work so I assisted in replacing them. If not up to his standards, I will end up keeping it.

I have owned one in the past ( and it now is the proud possession and in the good hands of BJ from this forum)..

What can I say..it was a deluxe accordion ( it was in Hawaiian Koana wood? ) . In terms of materials (inlays, wood quality, woodwork, rounded oversize brass buttons) and in terms of overall craftsmanship..it was better than most. It was very light, easy to play, but had lower volume than my Martin(s) or Acadian(s)...Action was low, fast and easy.. the volume issue was my only perplexity.

It should be in Texas now, and will give you the lowdown and perhaps soundbites and more pix from the new owner/player.

Glenn

Re: Re: Re: Does anybody know who bought this box?

That deep carving is indeed a stunning attribute of the accordion in questiong.

Regarding location: could be that Ebay put the zip code of the computer viewing the page in the shipping calculation box. Weird, though, because I hadn't logged in. "They" know more about you than you think...

S'b'B

Weird zip code magic.

I have had that happen to me on a number of websites for which I had not registered or logged in, and yet somehow it knew my zip code. Very mystifying!

-David

Re: Re: Does anybody know who bought this box?

The engravings are approx 1/25" deep and gold leafed.
No thickness was added to the endplates for this. They are standard 1/8" thick aircraft plywood covered with satinwood veneer. 1/16" aircraft plywood was used to make the register system.

Re: Re: Re: Does anybody know who bought this box?

The person I got it for ( a professional player..and owner of many major makes of LA boxes ) says it is pristine, and plays well. The action is a little tight ( low buttons, shallow ).. and the volume a bit thin ( as are CAJUN brand boxes ).. but a deluxe box in terms of materials and workmanship.

If he doesn't keep, I will be either posting it for sale or having it sent over.

G

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anybody know who bought this box?

Those boxes have the Aldus Roger sound. Paul Daigle also.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!