Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun Classic Accordion

Mark is right ... I do own a Cajun Classic (my favored accordion for several reasons).

It was built by Laten Miller of Lake Charles (no relation to Larry Miller) on a special commission for what I wanted about 5 years ago.

Just a bit about this thing, so as you know:

To me accordion buying (from builders) is like ... well, cracker jack prizes hovering down in the peanuts and carmelized crumbs at the end of the box... ya talk about it and discuss it.. and you being on one end during the building, begin to visualize / fantisize what that thing is gonna be like when it is all said and done (the anticipation of it all, ya see).
Well, that was me with that Cajun Classic. Laten is a particular type builder that aims to please... but more than that, before he would ever agree to craft a commissioned accordion, he wanted to be sure I was going to be somewhat respectful of such a prize (did not want to turn his craft loose to a twisted mad man, I suppose, HA)... He proceeded to give me a prize beyond my hopes. I call it my black and blonde C accordion (two tone) . The reeds are Antonelli's and it has since been re-tuned 5 cents wet with a bit of refined craftsmanship on the finger board for a smooth faster action (by Jude Moreau).

As I recall in conversation with Mr. Laten, he only builds a very short handfull each year ... a half dozen or less, and only by commission of someone seeking his brand, one at a time. He does not build on speculation. It was Jesse Lege' that originally put me in contact with Laten Miller.

It is the last accordion I would ever sell (it is that special to me) if I were to sell any at all... and I may, as I am unable to play much, due to some carple thing which I have not tended to.

I do not believe you can't go wrong with a Cajun Classic, if it is available. There are just not that many of this particular brand out there made by Mr. Laten, compared to the other builders. Hope that helps some.

Bon Chance ,
Nonc D

Re: Cajun Classic Accordion

It's been a while since i posted.

I also have a new C coming form Mr. Laten. This has been a long couple of weeks so far....

I bought a Bb from Larry Miller (Bon Cajun) in Iota. There is a difference in builders in my opinion. On My Bon Cajun the fingerboard is higher on the top that on most other boxes. Plus what sold me on a cajun classic was an old one that i had to chance to play once. That box was one of the first ones that he had made and it still sounded great.

I do have a question.

My Bb is built of Zebra wood, but my new C is being made out of curley mapel. Due to the density differences in the wood. would it make a noticable change in amplifing the sound? I just really hope its lighter than that zebra wood.

Re: Re: Cajun Classic Accordion

While your Zebra wood is heavy, you will find the maple a bit lighter.

For myself (regarding weight of a ten button) it does not matter, because I am one of those hay wire sitter downer players.... I simply have no reason to stand and strap up while playing... as a result it make little differance to me what the weight of the wood is, short of Iron Wood that is... ha.

The exterior wood will not make a differance in the loudness of your accordion (for what I know). The curly maple will be lighter. I have three Quilted Maples, and, there are vast differances in each as far as how loud they are accoustically. My Walnut is a mellow traditional dry tune and not at all accoustically loud (to me compared to the others).

Now then:
Some will say it is the hardness and design of the reed blocks.... some say it is the reeds (manufacture type of reeds)... some will say that it is the hole vs. a square hole (sounds funny eh?) on the sliders.

All I know is that some accordions are real screamers in terms of accoustically loud, while others are mellow. The loudest I have, happens to be that Cajun Classic with the Antonelli reeds. That (in terms of loud) works fine because I am fairly soft on my playing style with a lessor amount of stress across the reeds than perhaps others.

Make a noticable differance in amplifing the sound (you ask)??
As far as the exterior wood, I really don't think so.
I do think the key (as in C, D, Bb, A) can have something to do with how much you can get from a box accoustically.

Perhaps Jude Moreau can shed some light on what makes some boxes louder than others .. a builders perspective, that is.

Also, What do others think?? What makes it loud?

Nonc D

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!