Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swamp Pop accordion

Besides more traditional music of which I've collected alot, I also like the swamp pop but don't know so much about it.
Does anyone have any artists cd 's to recommend for interesting
accordion, singing, or songwriting for this style?

Re: Swamp Pop accordion

My experience is, generally speaking, in swamp pop, a horn section and piano overrides the use of accordion. One of my personal swamp pop favorites of all time is Johnnie Allan. Travis Matte does a fine job with a few swamp pop tunes on his 2 CDs.

R!CK

Re: Re: Swamp Pop accordion

Thanks I'll definitely check out Rick Reid
I got a couple of records by Mel 'Luv Bug" Pellerin and I believe a few of his tunes fit into the swamp pop tradition.
The arrangements for accordion sound good too , although the piano -horm sound more defines the style wouldn't one have to admit?

Re: Re: Re: Swamp Pop accordion

Well, if ya check out Rick Reid, you won't hear much swamp pop! Rick Reid spends most of his time listening to a lot of Travis Matte, drinking Budweisers and tellin' lies to pretty girls.

But I do agree with you about Mel Pellerin. His tune about Holly Beach is one of my favorites of his (My Little Cabbage runs a tight second). I'm not an expert on swamp pop, but I'd say Cookie & The Cupcakes were probably the pioneers of the genre. And to reiterate, Johnnie Allan is a guy I can listen to anyday -- anytime. I just like his style, his voice, his jewelry and he's got an awesome barber.

I think the swamp pop signature is the horn section, for sure. The tenor and alto saxes with a trumpet accompanied with a piano. To me, that's what I hear when I think of swamp pop -- kind of a blue-eyed soul with a li'l country twang.

A lot of old-school zydeco artists mixed in a respectable amount of swamp pop into their repertoire, albeit with a piano accordion on top a bed of horns.

So really, it kinda depends on the style of swamp pop that makes you grin -- there's a Cajun/country style and a Creole/R&B style. I'll tell you this -- it's all good...

That does it... I'm movin' to Louisiana.

R!CK

Steve Riley and the L'il Band of Gold use accordion in their swamp pop arrangements. You can hear samples at the Amazon link.

....another swamp pop compiltaion, you can listen to sample at the link:

VOL. V - Krazy Kats / Louisiana Swamp-Rock & Pop
TRIKONT US-0167
1. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: The Promised Land [02:03]
2. BEAUSOLEIL: Zydeco Gris-Gris [02:58]
3. RICHARD,BELTON: Un Autre Soir D'Ennui [02:40]
4. BERNARD,ROD & CLIFTON CHENIER: My Babe [03:12]
5. DAIGLE/ELKINS & CAJUN GOLD: Loup Garou Two Step [02:56]
6. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: It's Just A Sad Song [02:17]
7. MATTE,DORIS: Hey Teet Fille [03:10]
8. RICHARD,BELTON: Bosco Stomp [02:15]
9. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: South To Louisiana [02:19]
10. BERNARD,ROD & CLIFTON CHENIER: Shake, Rattle & Roll [03:20]
11. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: I Knew The Bride [02:51]
12. JAGNEAUX,RUFUS: Opalousas Sostan [02:33]
13. RICHARD,BELTON: San Antonio Rose [01:43]
14. MARCANTEL,NANCY TABB: Jambalaya [02:28]
15. COOKIE & THE CUPCAKES: Mathilda [03:10]
16. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: Ju-Ju Man [01:38]
17. RICHARD,BELTON: Just A Dream [02:47]
18. RICHARD,BELTON: Who-Diggie [02:06]

cheers, henning

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!