Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: intro and accompany question ... and Honking (?)

Hey Chris Miller,

Say listen, regarding that segment of playing (re: accordion)... help me out here with variation / styles.

While studying several styles, some of the old Creole tunes do create fills using the accordion during vocals and another accent that was told to me as "Honking". Some of the old La La sound seems to invite a differant rule to playing, in order to emphasize a rhythm pattern that can be done with the aid of accordion (as part of the rhythm) as an accent or as they say Honking.

I do understand what you mean with traditional Cajun style however, being very tight on matters with when accordion plays and does not play. Some Jam sessions open to public, house some do's and dont's for sure (some are left to wonder and are not always told).

Your rules are golden, and, can keep one in good graces if applied.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: intro and accompany question ... and Honking (?)

I have no idea exactly what they mean by "honking"...it is not a standard term that I have never heard any native musicians to my area use this term when playing. Maybe it's a "camp" thing--music camp term.

I would guess it might mean playing the "response" portions of the creole tunes...like the voice sings the line and then the accordion responds or answers back...I hear that a lot in creole and zydeco.

Can you elaborate on what "honking" actually is?

Re: Re: intro and accompany question

Thanks for the input guys. I will certainly try to pay extra attention during the vocals and instrumental breaks.
Just out of curiousity, (and knowing everyone is diffrent) how long does it take to get the fingers working separately, bass side and melody side? Seems like everywhere I go I find myself practicing the fingering like on the steering wheel, etc. and trying to get the left and right to go separately but it ain't happening. Am I doomed??

Re: Re: Re: intro and accompany question

Greg:

Welcome! You have found the site with the best advice available on learning about cajun-french accordion.

Mr. BuFraw's commandments #4 and #5 on learning the left hand and right hand are below:

#4.Learn the melody completely before you try the left hand. Don't finish learning the melody until you have integrated your left hand.

#5.Don't worry about playing the left hand, it's never miked anyway. But, you must always play the left hand because it gives it the true cajun sound, even though it's out of key about half of the time.

Yes, like each of us... you are euchered.

Peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: intro and accompany question

The left hand "frogs" were the slowest aspect of the accordion for me to achieve. The best way to look at 'em is to think of them as you would tapping your toes to keep time. When you keep time with your feet, do so with your frogs -- alternating them. This will also assist you with air-flow management and lessen your dependence on the breather button.

Getting those bass notes integrated into your tunes will not only enrich the overall sound, they also add essential rhythm to your songs --AND-- (here's the kicker) -- they will actually accelerate your learning of the melody! Trust me on that.

Perseverance is the key, mon ami...

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: intro and accompany question

Hi Greg,
Glad you piped up. I agree with the suggestions youve got about playing the bass side. Also I was instructed to spend some time playing the bass side ALONE. This gets boring pretty fast, but it does help. I agree with Rick, that perserverence is the key. You are not doomed.

I live near Lawrence Ks. I've found that people in this area love and respond to this music when they hear it. Drop me a line if your interested in getting together for a jam sometime. --Tommee

Re: Re: Re: Re: intro and accompany question

Thanks again for all the input. I'll try to be a good student. Already tried the green candle as stated above but it made the house smell really bad and the wife made me toss it.
Tommee, glad to hear that you are so close, relatively speaking. I dont think I will be ready for an accordion jam in the near future but would be thrilled to be able to hear you play and could probably do some guitar backup if it was ok. Will hook up on the email.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!