Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Walter Mouton & the Scott Playboys

Well, Walter is an interesting fellow. I've heard two re-occurring reasons he chose not to record again after that record was put out some years back. As with any story I don’t know how factual these two are, but the two musicians I heard them from are really stand up guys.

The first one came from a musician that knew Walter really well but never really played with him. He said the reason Walter choose never to record again was because he didn't like the way the band sounded on the record and felt that his music should just be played live and when he goes, the music goes with him.

The second version I heard was from a musician that played with Walter for a really long time off and on. He said the main reason Walter never recorded again was because he was fed up with the way his musicians acted in the studio when they were recording. Apparently they were having a little too much fun and Walter wasn't happy.

As far as Walter getting offers to record again...well he's gotten plenty of them. Some of them have been deals that almost no musician would have turned down, but I guess he hasn't changed much with age.

John

Re: Re: Re: Walter Mouton & the Scott Playboys

I had the pleasure to see Water at the last Balfa Camp last April. He was featured at a "Masters' Presentations" on one afternoon accompanied by U.J. Meaux on the fiddle, who just passed away last Summer. It was great to see Walter Mouton in action. Something impressive is how he handles his below action - with a very precise action, and completely straight sideways (hard to describe, but it's quite unique).
I have that presentation saved on a DVD.
Maz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Walter Mouton & the Scott Playboys

There are some pictures of Walter and his band from Grassroots. See links above.

It's funny Walter plays Falcon accordions and not Martins.

/Gunnar

It's a pity Walter didn't play at Floydfest instead of Gressroots

Because there's live recordings available of all artists from Floydfest, see link above. There's for instance Balfa Toujours and Charivari. Also check out the Rockridge Brothers if you're into Old-time Appalachian music. They are just great.

/Gunnar

Mouton's Falcon and a lil' Martinizing

I've got a couple of photos of Walter from his Breaux Bridge gig over Memorial Day Weekend of this year:

http://www.mosquitogumbo.com/pics_memday06.htm

Also, there's one of Jr. Martin (with the late, U.J. in the background).

The thing is about Falcon and Martin accordions is, for the most part, Randy and Jr. collaborate a lot on the building of accordions. Randy in particular, gets a lot of advice and parts from Jr. They are both very close friends and often talk smack about each other as so many accordion builders in competition with each other do.

I know I've mentioned this before, but my Falcon 4-stop Bb (green one) is by far the best box I own, in terms of feel and functionality. I also have a Martin C (white one), which runs a very close second.

Two other things that makes my Falcon Bb an exceptional instrument is the fact that Jr. re-tuned it wet from Randy's original wet tuning and re-installed the internal mic -- a superior mic from the one Randy installed back in 1993. I play more zydeco than Cajun music and you'll note that there's no LA zydeco musicians that I know of playing Falcons. Randy makes a superior "Cajun" box, specially designed for Cajun-style players.

Back in '93, I was the first person to convince Randy to install an internal mic. He was totally against doing so -- it's kinda like going to a hard-core rockabilly barber shop and asking for a perm. But, with a little begging, Randy did it for me. But Jr. was the one who instructed him how (and where) to do it. All my Falcons have internals installed by Randy and I don't know if he's ever done that for anyone else to date. Perhaps Tara Nivens of Donna The Buffalo is another?

I jest like me dat internal sound and the action of the Falcons.

The long and short of all this is, if you own a Louisiana (or East Texas) box, you've got the best there is. Cosmetics such as color, engraving and wood-type is simply gold-plating, IMHO. It fun to look at, but if the box fits your hands and allows you to express yourself with ease, then that's the one for you. I've never played a "Golden Triangle" box I didn't like. They are all truly magic when in capable hands.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Walter Mouton & the other great sounds of the 60's & 70's

The issue is also that the whole band has a unique sound , real dance hall and that not much of this music has been re-released on cd. I'm thinking about Sidney Brown's Goldband recordings , I'm thinking about the brilliant LP of Jay Pelsia, Nathan Menard & the Musical Cajuns , of Joe Bonsall and Robert Bertrand. So much of this music only exists on cassette or LP and we should be finding inspiration from it but it is less accessable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Walter Mouton & the other great sounds of the 60's & 70's

I had a rare opportunity to get on stage with Walter on fiddle, Jr. Martin on steel, Chevy Foreman on bass at the Poussiere Club in Breaux Bridge one night. It was awesome, I don't think they're too many out there that know Walter can play a fiddle as well and as smooth as he is on the accordion. It was a blast !

Sidney Brown Goldbands and Nathan Menard

If it helps, you can order the Nathan Menard album Cajun Swing from the Smithsonian Folkways site above

Select format custom CD

For Sidney Brown Goldbands, I guess you could lobby Swallow Records to put it on CD. You may check with some of the British labels as he might appear on compilations they lease from time to time.

Re: Sidney Brown Goldbands and Nathan Menard

Thanks! I ordered the Jay Pelsia cd from folkways.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!