Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LA LOUISIANNE ?

I am looking at buying a used LA LOUISIANNE 9 button accordion made in Lake Charles. I am not sure of the builder or how much i should offer. Any suggestions?

Re: LA LOUISIANNE ?

This accordion was made by Ken Guillory who I know personally very well. He has worked at Citgo and as he approached retirement, started making accordions. I won one of his at a CFMA sponsored accordion contest. I still have it today.

I like playing on his nine button boxes; he has a Bb nine button at his shop (his first nine button) that just screams! I have used it and just love it. I have seen and tested a good many (about 5) of his accordions before he released them to the customers. The workmanship is "A#1" He is a perfectionist. He learned from Laten Miller in Lake Charles who in turn had learned from Fred Cormier.

I guess he has been making for about 10-15 years now. I think he has made about 60 or so. He has now retired and will begin to concentrate more on his accordion shop.

New, the accordion is at least worth $1200 and maybe more depending on how old it is and the cost of materials at the time (importing reeds and bellows costs more now.) Without seeing and playing it I can't really say. What is he asking for it?

For excellent condition I would not be ashamed of offering at least $800; you won't find any other nine button new for that price. Of course if you can get it cheaper, then that would be better.

You can hardly miss with the accordion itself, though. It is a good instrument. If you give me the color, key, etc (or the number from inside the accordion) I can call Ken and ask him directly for the history on this instrument. He keeps meticulous records.

Re: Re: LA LOUISIANNE ?

Thanks for the response. I will email you with some info..thanks again

Re: LA LOUISIANNE ?accordion I have

I have an Accordian I believe to be built by ken Guillory that retired from Citco ? 10 button key of C and only name on it is Kajun Kenny believed to be a cook and was a gift to him ?? I would like more information about it because it is a high quality instrument !! It’s in very good condition and only played occasionally and would love to bring it and visit with him soon and find out the history of it ? I’ve had it over 10 years and was found in Kinder La and had been in a glass case under the cash register for possible 5 years when my uncle purchased it and had it tuned and checked out and decided to give it to me but was so nice I gave him a fender guitar and amplifier that he always played when visiting me. I’m not an Accordian player but have been playing rythem guitar with my uncles family band since young and other Cajun bands and can tell its high quality workmanship!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!