Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Canadians

Hello I understand you are interested in the canadians who are involved playing cajun music. There is a band here in Montreal that I organize called Grouyan Gombo.
We play mostly cajun as well some trad. creole repertoire. I have a strong interest in the music for the las 15 years. Please check out our myspace link posted above and feel free to email me anytime....
About the influsnce of Cajun music in this country that I know about :There is also the band, "Josephine" in Quebec City, basically Gaetan Jobin and Sylvie Larose, as well as Michael Ball In Ottawa who I often play with , as well as Nicole Blanchette in Granby, there is a band in Peterborough, Ontario whose name I don't recall I have met as well...A lot of Acadian musicains from new Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island and the Isle de la Madeleine also have been influenced by Cajun music, including "Blou", "Suroit", "Edith Butler". there is also a FrancoAlbertain singer from Alberta calles Crystal Chiasson if I am not mistaken,,,,,There is more Cajun impact on this country than one muight imagine. Many Traditional music people here visited Louisiana in the 1970's and invited Dennis Mcgee, D. L Menard, Marc Savoy, Dewey Balfa, Boisec Ardoin to play here back then . More recently, Hadley Castille and Bruce Daigrepont, Sacaulait, Al Berard and the Basin Bros, Filé, Wayne Toups, CJ Chenier, Nathan & The Zydeco Chachas , Rodie Romero, Balfa Toujours, Feufollet, The Savoy Family Band, Marce Lacouture, The Red Stick Ramblers have all been ambasadors for S.W Louisiana music in Quebec. We appreciate any chance we have to hear that good music.
Harlan

Re: Re: Canadians

Very interesting discussion. I did my master's research in ethnomusicology on the French-Canadian immigrant community in Southern New England (Rhode Island and Connecticut). Among the songs in the repertoires of various musicians there were "Colinda," "Lache-Moi La Patate," and "L'Arbre Est Dans Ses Feuilles."

Henry

Re: Re: Re: Canadians

Lache-Pas La Patate was a big hit on the canadian country music stations for Jimmy C Newman in back in the early 1970's I believe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canadians

Thanks for the suggestions! I relayed them to the student in 4th year at Ryerson. Salut!

Re: Re: Canadians

Harlan,
I cant get the myspace thing to play. Do you have to be registered for it to work?
Thanks,
Greg

My Space URL

Greg,

Try http://www.myspace.com/grouyangombo
That'll work.

Re: My Space URL

Neal,
I got there by searching google but I cant get the thing to start playing.
Thanks,
Greg

Re: Re: My Space URL

There must be some download that you could do also I notice that' once in a while I notice myspace screws up, but it's back up later...
Harlan

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!