Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice for a complete newbie??

Do NOT get a Chinese box! I am a newbie, purchased a Hohner Ariette in January of this year from Ebay $269. Big mistake and waste of money. Too hard to play, sounded awful, extremely poor quality. I purchased a slightly used Bon Cajun in June that I found through this site and have been happily playing every day since then. Even though I am only a living room 'musician' at this time, it was well worth the money. My advice, spend a little extra and get an LA or TX handmade(I have been paying attention), you will not regret it. And the best thing you have done is find this site. I thank all of you for the great information I get from reading your posts.

Re: Re: Advice for a complete newbie??

Wow, what a lot of great responses. Thanks to all of you!

I tend to agree with Carol. As I mentioned, I play other instruments, and I know that a cheap, poorly-made instruement is much more difficult to play than a quality piece, not to mention that quality also will sound a whole lot better. I think that maybe a lot of aspiring young musicians may be discouraged from continuing in their musical endeavor when they find out how difficult it is to learn one. Making it more difficult with a cheap instrument is not a good thing.

As said on here, I think a good box is a good "investment", both monetarily and musically.

I'll keep reading here, keep looking in the pawnshops and ebay, and keep my eyes open for a nice LA or TX box. Is there a particular website anyone recommends to go to and read up on specifically what to look for, how to recognize them, etc.

Finally, one more question: How about a piano accordion? I don't know enough about this genre of music to know if you can get a good cajun or zydeco sound from a piano accordion. Can it be done?
would it be much more difficult to do (play the notes) on a piano than on a diatonic? (I already play the piano, so fingering would not be an issue).

thanks again for all your help and insight.

Dana

Re: Re: Re: Advice for a complete newbie??

Dana,

The piano accordion once ruled the roost in zydeco. It's still a rockin' instrument though!

Check out CDs by Corey Ledet, Lil' Nathan, Curley Taylor, and Lil' Brian & The Zydeco Travelers for some new school mastery. In the old school, you probably already know about Clifton Chenier! But there's also C.J. Chenier, Buckwheat Zydeco, Nathan Williams, Wilfred Chevis, Leon Sam, and Lynn August just to name a few.

All good. All inspirational!

C'est fun!

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!