Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cajun B Box?

Hey Rick,
Are you thinking that you'd like to sing in F#? That would be cool. I think it's Randy Vidrine? that likes to sing in C# with Mitch's band.
Kirk

Re: Re: Cajun B Box?

Right on, Kirk... I've got two boxes in C and I'd like to change one to another key, i.e., B. Any key in the F to G range seems to be optimum for me vocally. I was wondering if there were guitarist that think F# isn't a good groove key.

Since my original posting, I found out my band would love to do some F#, so I guess I'll follow through with the B idea. I write so much in F and G, so I thought F# would be a nice addition. I know B is a strong Irish key and it's only a half-step up from F but I wanted to take the guitarist's concerns in mind. Looks like that won't be an issue at this point...

BTW, I updated our web site [zydecostingrays.com] last night with a whole new look. You might have to reload pages to update 'em (if you've been there before). I say it's very "Dallasy". We ain't got nothin' but flatlands and powerlines here. Well, we got that Trinity River, but...

...ewwww....poo-yai!

I gotta check me out some Randy Vidrine, bro...

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Cajun B Box?

Hi,

That's an interesting thought there, changing one of your boxes to B. I suppose it all depends upon how much you'll end up playing it.

I couldn't, however, let the comment about Irish music go past :-)

B is NOT a popular key for Irish music, the most popular keys are G, D, A and modal forms of E minor and A minor.

You may be getting confused by the fact that many Irish accordion players use two row boxes tuned to B/C. However, they then play across the rows in the keys previously mentioned.

How do I know this? 'cos I do :-)

ps. I play English/English/Scottish etc music on a 2 row D/G and a one row 4 stop in C (what you'd call a Cajun Accordion, but what I know as a one row 4 stop Melodeon).

Re: Cajun B Box?

I have heard of a contemporary Cajun band which uses an accordion in an unusual key, but I can't recall who they are. I don't think the key was B.

I would have to go back and check, but doesn't Keith Frank use a B single row for part of his set? I went through "Live At Slim's" a couple years ago and figured out all the keys and accordions involved, and there were some surprises.

It seems to me that whatever key you want to play/sing in is the right key. There are keys that are common, and other keys that are less common, but none are bad or wrong.

I also think that you don't need to worry about guitar players and bass players having a problem with whatever key you would like to use. Any decent player should be able to handle any key. If they can't, or they complain, that is an indication of poor musicianship and/or lack of professionalism on their part. It is not up to you to accomodate them, it is up to them to accomodate you.

-David

You're probably thinking of Charivari. Jono plays a C# because Randy Vidrine likes to sing in that range.

Yes, it was Charivari.

Yes, that's right - thanks for jogging my memory. And if I had read the earlier reply from Kirk, the answer was right there the whole time!

-David

mr frank does use a b on that record for a few songs
he doesn;t seem to carry it on tour any more though
maybe if you saw him in LA, where he didn;t have
to travel, he would have more accordions with him

wle.

Re: Re: Re: Cajun B Box?

I seem to remember Larry, David S. or Jim P. telling me about Keith's odd keys in a thread a few months ago I started regarding Ab boxes. I remember one of y'all mentioning Keith used C# and B often. That's pretty cool! Keith has a unique style and sound that sets the standard for all of new-school zydeco artists.

As far as my stinged players -- they are excited about playing in F#. They said there's a lot of cool opportunity in that key. I'm lucky they dig the oddball keys. My original concern was born out of the fact that so many guitarists I've met love playing in the easy guitar keys, i.e., E, A and G. But my band has really embraced F (Bb) since a lot of zydeco tunes we do are, naturally, played on the Bb box. Without a doubt, I've found the best guys to play with here in DFW.

Thanks for the input Braves!

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!