Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Keith Frank song

Thanks a lot Rick..

Re: Re: Re: Keith Frank song

i always thought it was something like

oh bye bye, tipi tipi elle dit
oh bye bye, ma couer [or souer] est canaille

wle.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Keith Frank song

Those guesses are as good as any - it is not easy to make out what is being said on a few of those words.

However, the title of the song gives an all important clue. It is "Mr. Sneaky" right? Because of that, I always thought that the last two words were "Monsieur Cannaille" which is a translation of Mr. Sneaky.

One thing to remember about Keith is that he is kinda faking it when it comes to French. I am glad that he tries, but you can tell it doesn't come to him naturally. I am not saying that I am a renowned Cajun and Creole language expert, or that I could do any better than Keith, but I know enough to be able to tell the difference someone who really knows, and someone who (like me) is coming to it after the fact.

-David

p.s., and the topic of the song is...

I learned Mr. Sneaky a long time ago, and found out later about a very similar sounding song by Beau Jocque. Many of us have heard about the bad blood between those two, and charges of one of them stealing the others songs and licks. On the basis of that, I always thought that Keith was referring to Beau Jocque as Mr. Sneaky. What was that other Keith Frank song in which he is talking about "the pork chop's not hot" and "the pork shop's not s***" (with pork chop being some kind of nickname for Beau Jocque)?

-David

Re: p.s., and the topic of the song is...

Yeah the battle of Keith and Beau...

The song you're referring to is "One Shot" by Keith. The lyrics imply "One shot from my Get On Boy" was far better than the rival "Cornbread" tune at the time, in which Beau makes the piece of porkchop reference. The Cornbread song as many may have heard, was invented by Willis Prudhomme. Not sure if Willis ever recorded it, but rumor has it Beau stole it (or re-did it) from Willis.

I also think Keith's tunes, "You've Been Watching Me" and "Let Them Talk" were directed at Beau.

Must be nice to get Keith's attention enough for him to feel threatened enough to refer to ya in a tune!

And then there's J. Paul's tune on his "Taking Over" CD, "The Story" which is a total dys on Keith... "...one monkey from the East; don't run no show..." amongst other lyrics. Ever notice J. Paul and Keith don't play on the same billing -- ever?

BTW, Mr. Sneaky is really the same tune as Keith's "Now Is The Time." Just with different lyrics and a more staccato groove.

R!CK

Re: Re: p.s., and the topic of the song is...

the thing about 'mr sneaky' is, the existing lyrics
are so trivial, they can;t mean much anyway

it would be just as good to make up some new
ones, french or english, that you understand

not that i did that

i just sing it phonetically

but i just now thought of it, maybe i will
make some more words for it

david;s probably right, it's probably
about that war KF and beau jocque had going on

which i assume means nothing now that mr
beau is gone on to the dance hall in the sky

wle.

Re: Re: p.s., and the topic of the song is...

I only ever had one conversation with Mr. Willis, but in that conversation he talked about having given the Cornbread song to his friend Beau Jocque. So I think it was a friendly transaction.

S'b'B

Re: Re: Re: Re: Keith Frank song

I'm going with Larry on this one! Larry's translation is logical. I'm not much on cipherin'! I always wondered about that tune; now we know...

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!