Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Les Amis Creole.... Angels will weep over this one (I know I did) !

There are many here that gravitate to a specific style of French Music. Could be that you like the Zydeco, perhaps the raggin neuvo cut loose on Cajun... others are Traditional minded for the Cajun or Creole style.

Does it matter what it is that floats your boat??

I am not sure it overly matters, HOWEVER, lend me an ear (so to speak) on this one.

Got home and in the mail was a package from a friend.
Now, I'm giddy like a kid when it comes to packages, but Ms. Linda says: "ya gotta feed those hounds first." Those biscuit gobblers got their vittles in record time! Back in the house, I am poppin open the cello bubble wrap from within... A CD!

Arhoole Label (ole buddy Chris S. at it again).
Les Amis Creole
Done up by three amigos: Poullard, Watson and Adams

Braves this bares spillin it the way is, so hold on while I summons the words.

I snatched up that CD and headed for the music room.
Popped it in and put on the head phones. Lightly into the first song, I put the lights down to a flicker (it is a victorian music room) so I could get transformed to another place through this music.

Ms. Linda popped her head in and caught me off guard, I was moved to tears on track 5 (and others truth be known), as it brought back a time and place that can happen now and then from a certain sound. "You alright?" (she asks), 'Yeah I'm fine' I said as I held onto one of my "C" accordions, "Yep I'm fine, you know how it goes" (she nodded and smiled, then closed the door).

I have not played more than an hour or so in the past 8 or 9 months... Les Amis Creole may well be such a CD that will bring me back home again among sights, sounds (especially sounds) and certain emotions that speak to things that carry unique feelings pertaining to the music.

This is the La La style of matters. I honestly think that the learning process is not complete without some type of infusion from this style of French music as it is so rooted. It is the old school of Creole, long before the Zydeco and the Neuvo twists on Cajun came to be... it is heart and soul of a French music style made from the surroundings of a porch or a kitchen chair. Perhaps best heard from a flickering sconce in a room that speaks of a bygone era.... Best heard period... for how it was, is, could be and perhaps should be as a carry on to matters.

Edward Poullard , Cedric Watson and James Adams

Oh brother, what a peach of a cd! Les Amis Creole
Arhoolie # 529 (18 tracks of pure passion for sound)

Nonc D
(thx Ed, ya got me bro.)

Re: Les Amis Creole.... Angels will weep over this one (I know I did) !

I like the way this forum swings from the emotional (Nonc's beat poetry) to the technical (mics and left hand) to the aesthetic (look at that purty red box!).

My Creole experience of the week was non-Creole fiddler Dennis Stroughmatt, who has learned from Canray Fontenot and Morris Ardoin, and toured with Dexter Ardoin, playing a little concert with his band, then putting me through my paces in my living room. Aiiyee!

But I'm kind of bi-polar: I like my Ray Abshire and my Marc Savoy (and my Chris Miller and my Jude Moreau) along with my Bois Sec! So much music, so little time...

S'b'B

Re: Les Amis Creole.... Angels will weep over this one (I know I did) !

I've said before Nonc, someone oughta collect your posts and make a book.

I had found a bunch of music samples from this cd a while back and pretty much made my mind it is a must have for those of us traditional minded folks. From the samples I heard you said my thoughts exactly in a way I cant. Good call.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!