Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2-Stop Sterling

I've been talking over the phone to a guy selling a 2 stop Sterling. He doesn't know anything about it or any instrument. It's only faults , from his description, is that the stops are stuck open and the top flapper isn't seating properly, so it's hard to tell the key over the phone, but I think it could be D.

We haven't talked about price, and I wouldn't pay much, but I wonder whether to consider it at all.

When I got him to describe it, and realized it was a 2 stopper, I went right off it, but have since wondered. Did any of our heroes from the past play any less than four stops?

It's not that I need a D box, but, heck - it's a Sterling!

BJ

Re: 2-Stop Sterling

Go for it.. everybody needs a D box : )))

Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

Yeah, but I've got a good D box. I'm catching your disease - gotta buy anything interesting!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

Heheheh !!! I hear you. My disease has recycled lots of great accordions into the right hands.. in about 5 different musical genres..

Amadeo might have played a Sterling two-stop in D ( I understand he recorded in D ) ... does that make it more interesting?

: ))) G.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

Hello

as you may know, Sterling acordions, like Monarch, originaly came with 2, 3 or 4 stops, depending of their prices.

There also were two-row Monarch and even Italian style ones, called Monarca (I have one).

Various Monarch models can be seen in the B & J catalogs of the time.

As one understands, musicians playing dances before amplification days used 4-stop accordions whenever possible, as they needed a booming sound.

Indeed, Cajuns (like other local musicians in the USA) did play any kind of squeezebox they could get, but, as soon as records were made and 4 stop bulky German accordions available, they prefered them to any others.

The 2-stop Sterling you found should be considered like a show piece, the better if it comes with all its original parts. A museum in France owns a 2-top Monarch in mint condition. These should be kept preciously, not played - at least on stage.

Gerard Dole

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

Thanks Gerard,

I was wondering about the sound. It wouldn't have the bassoon reeds, I guess, or the piccallo?

I suppose, really, I just want, like Glenn, to see it appreciated, and not nailed to the wall in some theme pub.

BTW, Glenn,- was that Wolfgang Amadeo who played a D box?

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

ahahaha. amadeo arduino ??

I meant Amadee Ardoin.. ??.. played in D and maybe just.. played one of those ?..

Would be good to have some hot player record some old standards on that box..to share around on Youtube or wherever.. so we can all hear the old-timey sound ?

G:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

Hey BJ,

Have you fixed a price on it yet? Maybe the seller can either photograph it and/or email some pics, or maybe play some notes down the phone.
How did you manage to find it?

I've never seen a Sterling or Monarch box before - Sounds like it's worth having - maybe you could eventually have the reeds replaced if the box itself is in good condition - or is that sacreligious of me to suggest such a thing?!

Then there's the bellows as well of course.
Probably the leathers on the flappers will need replacing.
Sounds like a nice winter project in the dark evenings, sat by the fire, smoking one's pipe and fixing up an old accordion.

Are you going to Gloucester next Jan/Feb?

Regards

Andy W

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

Hi Andy,

Geezer found it in the attic when he moved into the house. Got watching one of those 'Flog It' sort of TV progs,remembered it, and decided to advertise it.

Sounds like a project, as you say. I'm kind of interested to see the similarities and differences between it and the modern handmades. Also, it may be good to learn a bit of repair work on. In case I ever have to tackle my other boxes.

Dunno about Gloucester. Who's on? Might hink about Ramsdonksveer in June. After Saulieu, cold and rainy Gloucester in winter isn't so attractive!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2-Stop Sterling

That's a neat idea, Glenn. All this encouragement is gonna make me bid the fella far more than it's worth.

Do you think Amadeo used a Sterling for 'The Marriage of Fontenot'? or 'Eine Kleine Frenchmusik'.

BJ

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!