Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Simple Christmas songs on the Cajun Box.

What are some of the Christmas songs you have learned to play on your box? So far I've got Noel, Silent Night, Oh, Christmas Tree, Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells, We wish you a Merry Christmas. I've been working on these today and have made some progress. I was working on Dixie and Battle Hymn of the Repuplic last night and decided if I could play Dixie, I might as well work on some Christmas songs. Suddenly my mind is at a blank of Christmas songs. Plus I just had a man from the Indian Reservation ask me if I was interested in playing Christmas music there this year. Wow I could swap from Bluegrass to Cajun style during the sets. I just ordered me a tri-angle also. So you folks thats played Christmas music on these help me out a little defining the songs that will work on the diatonic accordion. Thanks Bruce

Re: Simple Christmas songs on the Cajun Box.

Hi Bruce, Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer work also.

Re: Re: Simple Christmas songs on the Cajun Box.

Does anyone have any good Hanukah songs to suggest?

Re: Re: Re: Simple Christmas songs on the Cajun Box.

Vive le vent!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Simple Christmas songs on the Cajun Box.

Maz:

Is vive le vent the same tune as the English 'Jingle Bells?'

Vive le vent
vive le vent
vive le vent hiver...

Peace,
Griff
P

Hey Bruce,
Joy to the World, and Oh Come Little Children are fairly easy to play on the box. Another one I play, not for sure on the name, but I hear it on the country radio stations, Christmas Time A Coming.
Instead of using a T-fer you can use bells, they make a hand held handle with multi bells on it, or use both may sound good also. Good luck!
MarkS

So far I've got 14 I'm working up and my daughter playing on guitar and singing some of them. Sounds pretty good. Playing the octaves is easy, but some of the single notes are a little tricky. But I've only been at it about a week and they are coming along just fine. I figure if I can master Christmas songs, I should be able to play about anything that comes my way. Bruce

A few years ago I heard a Sammy Kershaw version of "Christmas Time's a Comin'" with Cajun accordion, check it out if you can find it. Probably Wayne Toups playing, I'm not sure, but he did a lot of sessions in Nashville. A really good tune.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!