Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wow! Played the old accordion for the first time in months...

Tom,

You mentioned you don't play this music anymore. Just curious: why? Scott

Re: Re: Wow! Played the old accordion for the first time in months...

Ups and downs.... it could be one of dozens of reasons.

I have taken a sabatical from playing my own self, for reasons that may be differant.

Physical pain can cause ya to subside. I have a bad cyst on that tendon/nerve in the left wrist. Simple placement of that hand in the strap of the bass side gets real nasty for me. It will get medical attention in the new year... lend to that some torn muscles in the left forearm (healed now) and it serves good reason. blah blah and a blah.

I wonder why myself sometimes:
I do know that Tommy has been playing accordion for a number of years. The music is in his head and it can transfer to the fingers and actions when called upon... so it is not like he is a frustrated learner (if you are a learner, it is ok to be frustrated).
I don't play a lot of various instruments and I have never seen any stage fame from days gone by to make me wonder where it all went (perhaps like Tom)and if it would ever re-manafest itself. But, as much time and torment that this particular music (while learning) presents, it is enough to make many within the first several years (from remote locations) want to set this thing aside. Perhaps it is an absense of others rooted to this music that gets next to a person, who can say(?).

Truth Time Questions:

How many Braves have ever gotten frustrated with this music?

How many have put down the accordion for a spell and pick it up, and, go on to play their best?

How many thought this thing would be mastered in a year or two?

Hang on to this one:
Q. How many are bugged by the idea that they don't play like Jason Frey or Steve Riley or Chris Miller or Geno (tossing that in for the Zydeco fans) and a number of other artists that make this thing walk, talk and do whatever they command it to??

Simple is ok! Or is it?
Gotta be who you are with this thing. (we've discussed that many times on this board)
Perhaps that is the ultimate tune we all must learn and remember.

In closing this Nonc book segment:
If ever I had played music with Janis Joplin, or Cheryl Crow (like Tommy has) and others, perhaps I too would wonder why this elussive accordion thing needs to be in the picture for my needs where other instruments are stand outs or rather, outstanding. Just a thought. Could be the cross roads of matters.

You know whooo.. Nonc something-or-another...

Re: Wow! Played the old accordion for the first time in months...

Wow. That was like looking at a Monet painting. Thanks for sharing. So why so long without the box?

Hal

Tom,...I got a question for ya...

It's off topic, Tokyo related. Please send me your e-mail address. Thanks, Tommee
PS glad to hear you had a good time with the accordion. Sound real nice. I was out playing for little kids last Friday afternoon & had a blast! tommees@ku.edu

Re: Tom,...I got a question for ya...

ytmq945@hotmail.com

Give a holler...

Tq

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!