Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

Very nice Rusty, both the playing and the Box. I am still working on Waxia. Your version will help me. Thanks for posting it. I hear that tune with a Zydeco beat in the background, sure as I tell you. Couldn't help but notice the 5 string in the background. What is the mystical connection between banjo players and accordions? It's certainly there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

It's funny indeed.
I'm playing 5-string banjo too.
The distance between C/D and E/F is different.
Between C and D are two half notes and between E and F only one !!
Is the arrangement of reeds in the boxes also different or are they two different boxes in one ?

Re: Good Old You Tube !!

Rusty,
Just checked out the Youtube numbers and they are great! Please let us know what equipment you used to record them. So many great performances on Youtube and most of them sound terrible however yours is crystal clear. Curious as to what type of banjo style you play. I too play banjo , clawhammer style but am a newbie in the accordion world. I noticed that your accordion is set up with six and one stop. What do they control? Voices or keys? Sorry about the elementary questions!
Thanks,
Greg

Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

I use a Sony DSC-M1 digital camera, it belongs to my wife but the quality it has is amazing !

The accordions that I am playing on YouTube are Falon "dual-pitched" melodeons. They play in two key's, these are specified at the time of construction of the boxes. They are the exact same demensions as a single key box, in exception for the length of the valves and the stops on top. As aforementioned, the red one is a c/d, it is 12 years old, the cocobolo is an e/f which is hot off of the assembly line !! For the accordion to have the ability to play in two octaves they can only play with 3 rows of reeds on the treble side. So while playing in one key, 3 stops are up and 3 stops are down, if you want to play the other key, swap them over. As you can hear, there is not much difference at all in the sound, in fact, I've played it next to some four stops which didn't have as much volume. If you listen to the Waxia Special, it is in E, if you listen to the Lacassine Special, it is in F, all played with the same accordion. Instead of having two separate accordions, you have two keys in one box.

On the banjo, don't play, wish I did. It belonged to my grandfather, who tried continously to play it but never could. All he ever did play well was the radio.

Re: Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

How much dose one of those dual key jobs run?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

Just checked out your E/F, killer. Email me so we can catch up. Later...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

4 Grand, whew, I lost my breath just reading that....But on the up side, that thing souns awlsome.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Old You Tube !!

To each his own my friend !

Thanks for that Rusty

Thanks,

Great quality recording and lovely playing.
I must admit an envious desire for your C/D box - saw one only once before, but a great idea - though the cost puts me off somewhat.
Myspace and youtube have really opened up the doors to sharing music over thousands of miles. Great stuff

regards

Andy W

Re: Good Old You Tube !!

Excellent sound. I've subscribed to your YouTube. Bring'm on!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!