Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Celebrations week!!!!!!!!.

I didn't realize that New zealanders have a good sense of humour .

I love your prose.

At least John, you didn't hide behind a speudonym of sort, you added your email adress, unlike "Doc Marc" a tread bellow.

I'm big enough to take critism from whomever, but I dislike someone doing it under the cover of anonimity.

Claude

Re: Re: Re: Re: Celebrations week!!!!!!!!.

Hey, I'm not infaillible.

My apologies to the Newbie on this forum "Doc Marc" who did in fact add ,his e-mail adress.
But, I certainly was not abusive, just "Factual", and I don't know if youv'e noticed, but when Mr.Larry Miller used this board for his shameless business "plug", using his retirement as a ruse, he didn't bother to reply to my email to him.

Mr. Larry Miller I regret to say, can 't take the truth, and my comment that his accordions , lack the Luthiers craftnanship "touch" remains incontested and in that context true.

Respectfully.

Krazzy Kannuk.

Krazzy Non-infallibility

I have to agree: not infallible. I don't know if Mr. Larry Miller has "lurked" this board for the 6 years (if I recall) +/- that it has been around, but I wouldn't call stepping in once to let us know that his business will continue in his grandson's hands "shameless". Many posters on this board have wondered what would happen with Larry's business, and he just answered the questions.

In my experience, Mr. Larry has provided excellent service to his customers (including myself, even though I obtained my Bon Cajun on Ebay), and his instruments play well and hold up extremely well under my ham-handed abuse. He has been most generous in sharing his knowledge of Cajun music and culture.

In short: the integrity of the man trumps the angle of his corners.

Steven Blais

Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

Steve,

Let me clarify something for you and the rest of this board.

First of: I don't find any faults with Mr.L. Miller's boxes except of course, using Butted corners for his frames construction, nor do I find faults with his legendary good and prompt service and generosity of spirit.

But his use of awkward looking joinery ,unfortunatly detract, and distract the eyes.

To spent so much time, finessing, and cajoling a wooden musical instrument to life, and to "casualy" use second rate and amateurish joinery, is absolutly beyond me.

To spend so much money and getting an inferior product in the process, is mind boggling.

It implies a blatant disreguard and a very disrectpectfull "thumb on the nose" gesture with well establihed local and International fine wood working standards.

It lacks the craftsmanship touch.

But, let me answer your posting with two "fair" questions:

Witch joint do you prefer to see, the butt or mittered joints on Cajun accordions ?, honestly, and why?.

Why do builders use either of these joints?.

K.K

Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

Claude - I appreciate your explanation of the thinking behind your comments. I'm no stranger to aesthetics as a thing people try to achieve and as a thing about which there are innumerable ideas and opinions. I will trot out my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Cornell University; my travels to fine Canadian, U.S., and European museums; and 18 years as a licensed architect to bolster my credentials. Not to mention the privledge of listening to many different kinds of beautiful music.

Are Cajun accordions a) tools with which to make music in which only tone and action count, b) folk art to be admired for local adaptations used to dress up a wooden box with a limited selection of Italian bellows colors, or c) fine casework?

You ask a fair question: do I like the look of a butt joint or a miter joint? In the context of an accordion frame, I like the miter. But maybe I'd like a through multiple dovetail joint better: I think it would look pretty snazzy with a two-tone interwoven contrast of end grain and face grain, no?

I am reminded of a veneered wood door company representative who despised the look of quartersawn oak veneers: thought the figure (medullary rays) were nasty defects. Good thing he still had plain sawn and rift sawn from which to choose!

It's not absurd of you to ask why certain builders don't join corners a certain way, but I'd rather spend more time playing my accordion than worrying about why other people have certain preferences.

In fact, I wonder why I'm spending time writing this, but I might have to hire an expensive psychologist to find out, and would I want to go with the more established psychoanalytical tradtion, or deal with a Rogerian Humanist?

Inconclusively and with Best Regards,
Steven Blais

Re: Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

Steve,

Thank you, for yor personnal comments, there is nothing to add, except for the matter to gently, sleep into the night.

I know that I have made my point ,so have others, detractors or not.

Life, should gently , again go on.

Opinion varies, I take your point, gallantly, for its good value.

Thank you

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

I never saw a Cajun-accordion that fall to pieces.
So I think that the construction of the boxes is good.
Marc Savoy was standing on one under an Oak-tree, but maybe it's another tree.
Would somebody be so kind to explain the difference between the way of construction of the corners?
On a drawing it should be clear.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

i can explain it to you Ron, i`ll send you an email

Wilfred

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

If you are going to stand on your accordion, I think butt joints hold up better. Perhaps Marc discovered this at some point....

Joking, of course...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

Thanks Wilfred, I understand it now.
Marc wasn't so heavy in Jai Ete Au Bal.
What manner is stronger?
That's the next discussion.
And which builders do it butt and which mitered ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

I dont see how either is stronger than the other, it is more a matter of aesthetics. The miter looks cleaner, especially if the frame is made out of one continous piece of wood, and is harder to do without a gap. They both use end grain, which doesnt glue up as well, but the butt is at least using on side grain.

What really beefs up the joint is the glue block on the inside of the frame. But, at least to me, the corner joint doesnt take away from the rest of the accordion, especially with the corner protectors on. I just boils down to taste, and it seems silly for this to come up so much.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Krazzy Non-infallibility

Dear Brian,

What it really take are some silly peaople
like you and me to continue add nauseum to dispense advice or knowledge after the fact.

Everything on the subject has been said.

I mean you told me so, a while back,, in no uncertain words.

Your'e infortunatly stirring the gumbo pot.

Give it a rest, or do it privately like Wilfred just did.

Don't tempt anyone to reply, especially me .

K.K.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!